Page numbers in commentaries and books

danzac

I know this note has been sounded, but I need to bring it up again to see if there is something that can be done about it. The lack of page numbers in some modules is a hindrance. It is a hindrance to me as I am working, and it is also a hindrance to wider acceptance of electronic editions of books. A small case in point

While working on my dissertation, I quoted from John Nolland's NIGTC commentary on Matthew from my Accordance module. After the sweet bliss of finding it with full-text search and a simple cut and paste of the citation into Mellel, dismay set in as I realized the NIGTC module ships without page numbers. How does this translate? Well, I have to trudge down to the library, find the book, and find the citation. Which also means that I am no longer citing an Accordance electronic addition of the book, but the printed version

Danzac,

Depending on the format you are using for your citations, and the type of source you are referring to, you may not need to page number. The SBL format, for instance, does not require the page number to be cited for electronic editions of reference works with a corresponding print edition (7.3.12). Could that formatting be applied here?

Mike

Danzac,

Depending on the format you are using for your citations, and the type of source you are referring to, you may not need to page number. The SBL format, for instance, does not require the page number to be cited for electronic editions of reference works with a corresponding print edition (7.3.12). Could that formatting be applied here?

Mike

This is a great topic (again)... On the facebook forum there is a question about using Accordance for publishing. Though I am but a lowly student in my senior year, I have found the same problem as the original poster, I am required by the institution (using Turabian writing style) to provide page numbers. I have also been told that, in order to publish, I will have to have page numbers. I, too, have found some frustrations with citing page numbers and have done the run to the bookshelf to find the hard copy to cite. I think it depends on your context as to "needing" page numbers in an electronic citation, but for me it is required. FYI.

There is really no point in approaching publishers, they either supply us the etext they have or they don't and we get it elsewhere.

Here's a radical suggestion: technically qualified people can volunteer to insert page numbers into the source texts for us (perhaps in exchange for modules they need). That would provide a needed service to the Accordance public, and enable them to earn some modules. The work is not simple, though. It requires great attention to detail and (from personal experience) is best done as team of two, one to check the print copy and the other to edit the text.

Danzac,

You are right

There is really no point in approaching publishers, they either supply us the etext they have or they don't and we get it elsewhere.

Here's a radical suggestion: technically qualified people can volunteer to insert page numbers into the source texts for us (perhaps in exchange for modules they need). That would provide a needed service to the Accordance public, and enable them to earn some modules. The work is not simple, though. It requires great attention to detail and (from personal experience) is best done as team of two, one to check the print copy and the other to edit the text.

All right, now we are getting somewhere! I think I'm technically qualified, what type of text would we be working with? I'm willing to do some for sure, and I know of a few students who I could work with to get something like this done. Any other volunteers? What texts need page numbers? Here are the ones that come to my mind....

NIGTC

NIBC

Pillar

Context of Scripture

DSS studies

Meaning in Text

I'd be willing to help. I'm in the same boat as Danny, needing to get page numbers in my dissertation. I end up using Accordance, but having to quote the print edition.

I just remembered that ADC's little in-house library has all of the NIBC. I have two sharp MA students who are Accordance users who would definitely be up for doing the work with me for modules payment.

Helen, let me know how to start this process.

• 4 months later...

So..how is this process going. I am working on a paper for Seminary and would love to have the page numbers. I'd be glad to help as well; however, I'm not exactly technologically savvy :)

Working on a post about two modules right now. Waltke and Metzger are on the website for the Check for Updates to download. More modules are in the pipeline.

Working on a post about two modules right now. Waltke and Metzger are on the website for the Check for Updates to download. More modules are in the pipeline.

It sounds like you'll have more information soon... I have Waltke and did the Check for Updates but it didn't show up as having an update available.

Oops, forgot one step. Please try again now.

I ran the Check for Updates and it said there were no downloadable updates available, but that there were some (including Waltke) with new media. When I clicked "Open Webpage" it took me to the page to purchase the module new.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to just download the update that I haven't found?

Sorry, this has been a crazy day. I think we finally have it right.

Nope: one more thing but the webmaster needs to fix it.

I think we have a workaround for now.

Sorry, this has been a crazy day. I think we finally have it right.

Nope: one more thing but the webmaster needs to fix it.

I think we have a workaround for now.

I did the Check for Updates again and it worked beautifully! Now I can finally sell my print copy of Waltke!

Just out of curiosity, what other modules are in the pipelines to receive page numbers? no need to give any timelines, just a list of modules in the works. Is Context of Scripture one of them?

Archived