Exclude verse 0 Hits in a Word Search

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

I want to look up all the references to David in the Psalms, except ofr those references in the Psalm superscriptions, which in the NRSV are assigned verse 0.

Is there a way to exclude these superscriptions?

Thanks,

Lorinda

Lorinda,

First you'll need to find all the mentions of David in the Psalm superscriptions. Do that by setting the "Search within every" pop-up to Chapter, and the range pop-up to Psalms. Then in the argument entry box, search for:

David <WITHIN 30 Words> [FIELD Begin]

This search finds all the mentions of David at the beginning of a Psalm, which should get all the superscriptions.

Now open a second tab, set the range to Psalms, enter David, the NOT command, and the CONTENTS command. In the dialog that appears, select the window containing your search for the Psalm superscriptions.

It's surprising how few results are found by this search. I get 11 hits in the NRSV.

Hope this helps.

You can also add the <NOT> command to the first search window immediately after David to achieve the same results. Using the NAS95S, I also get 11 hits, and a manual check of all the hits of David against this search verifies that is correct.

Robb,

Doh! You're right. I made it harder than it is!

That's beautiful! ;)

I didn't know about the [FIELD] command!

Lorinda

Archived