exporting hebrew texts

Robert McCabe

I am using Accordance 6.7 and have encountered a problem when copying Hebrew texts from Accordance into a word document. My specific problem is that when I copy a Hebrew text, I want it to include the cantillation marks, but am unable to do this. Here is the procedure that I follow when copying a text. In my preferences, I have selected the

Robert,

I would assume that the Hebraica II font does not support cantillation marks, so even though you're not specifying that they be stripped, there's no way for them to be exported. If you export using the Yehudit font, you should get the cantillation marks.

David,

I probably am not conversant with what you have stated. For a number of years, I have cut and pasted from MacHebrew Scripture and the cantillation marks have been carried over into my documents. As a result, I have assumed that the Hebraica II font supports cantillation marks.

------

Bob McCabe

Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary

Robert:

The problem is not that Hebraica II does not have the cantillation marks, but that Accordance does not support the conversion to their mapping so it strips them.

It will keep them if you keep the font in Yehudit, but then in Word 2004 you have the problem that certain marks get substituted by the system, though this is less frequent in Hebrew than it is in Greek. The other way to keep them is to convert to Unicode, but Word 2004 does not support hebrew Unicode at all, so you must use a different word processor such as Mellel.

Perhaps the best solution for you is to continue to copy from MacHebrew whenever you need the marks.

Helen,

I have noticed the problem for some time and have done exactly what you said by copying from MacHebrew. Since I consistently use accordance, it would have been nice to export directly to word. Perhaps, I will need to make some changes as you have recommended. Thanks for the clarification.

-----

Bob McCabe

Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary

Archived