Commands and Symbols Part 1

Timothy Jenney

Our February 10, 2009 webinars [1 PM and 8 PM (ET)] are the first of a two-part series on searching using Accordance 8's powerful command and symbol set. This session will describe the use of the most common commands [and, or, not, xor, followed by, preceded by, within] and symbols [* ? - . = () , : ; ff]. They will also cover Accordance 8's new Fuzzy command and its Search All feature.

Part two of the series will be aired on February 24th. It will cover the more complex command searches [Link, Contents, Hits, Infer, Merge, Range, Count, Style, Field], as well as the Search Back feature.

Certain search commands and symbols are only relevant for Key Number searches [Key, @] or original language searches with tagged texts [@ +]. We expect to schedule webinars for these kinds of searches in March, so stay tuned!

Could you post on the trick that Helen shared about doing a quick fuzzy search. I was not able to figure it out.

thanks

If you select a phrase and click Search on the Resource palette (or right-click and Search) Accordance searches for the phrase. If you press shift while doing that, Accordance does a fuzzy search, with the numerical modifier based on the length of the phrase.

I did not get the meeting infromation for tonight nothing in my e-mail

Steve Rushton

I did not get the meeting infromation for tonight nothing in my e-mail

Steve Rushton

Hi, Steve!

I am working on this issue with you.

Meanwhile, let me use this opportunity to encourage everyone to register for the webinars early. I habitually accept people the Monday morning before the session, and then several other times throughout that day. So far, everyone registered by that time has received an invitation via e-mail. However, I am not sure how long it takes WebEx to issue such invitations. The closer it gets to the start of the meeting, the less likely it is that registrants will receive their invite in a timely fashion.

So, plan ahead!

Archived