Suggestion on the books of Biblical Hebrew

Kit

Hi there,

Can you suggest me some good books of biblical hebrew? If you can tell me the pros and cons, that would be great too.

Thanks a lot.

Christopher

Hi there,

Can you suggest me some good books of biblical hebrew? If you can tell me the pros and cons, that would be great too.

Thanks a lot.

Christopher

Are you just starting out and looking for a grammar to teach yourself, or have you already studied the language and are looking for good reference works? That information will help greatly in making recommendations!

Are you just starting out and looking for a grammar to teach yourself, or have you already studied the language and are looking for good reference works? That information will help greatly in making recommendations!

Only beginner.

Only beginner.

In that case, the current best Accordance module for introductory Hebrew is probably Allen P. Ross's Introducing Biblical Hebrew.

Depending on how you learn best, you may want to also consider the print grammars by Seow and Kittel, Hoffer, and Wright (the latter includes a workbook). Either of them will give you a great foundation for more advanced work. I'm sure there are other good grammars out there, but those are the ones with which I am most familiar.

For what it's worth, Accordance's offerings are very strong in intermediate to advanced original language tools (grammar, syntax, lexical, etc.).

For beginner studies I would add Pratico and Van Pelt to the list. (By the way, is that coming to Accordance anytime soon? We have Mounce/Wallace, so it seems natural to add the Hebrew volume.) There is also a workbook with that. Russell Fuller (Invitation to Biblical Hebrew) has a grammar/DVD set as well that is good for beginners, especially if you want more "formal instruction" than you can get just going through a book on your own. A companion workbook is also available to go with Fuller's Hebrew textbook.

Once you get through those, Robert Chisholm's A Workbook for Intermediate Hebrew would be a good next step. I would get a copy of Waltke and O'Connor's Hebrew Syntax (available in Accordance) to go along with Chisholm's workbook. He also references Pratico/Van Pelt quite a bit.

Thanks brothers.

The timing on this is kinda funny. I just emailed Greg and David yesterday asking if we could get "Basics of Biblical Hebrew". It would be a great addition to our other Zondervan offerings.

Let me also suggest the following site: http://www.animatedhebrew.com/

They have some fun tools for basic Hebrew study, including FREE video lessons which follow the first 40 chapters (35 hours) of Pratico and Van Pelt.

• 9 months later...

I'd still like to see "Basics of Biblical Hebrew" available as an Accordance module, particularly since iTunes University now has a video class following the book. A good class and, best of all, free!

Mark

• 11 months later...

I'd still like to see "Basics of Biblical Hebrew" available as an Accordance module, particularly since iTunes University now has a video class following the book. A good class and, best of all, free!

Mark

Any news on whether or not this will become available in Accordance?

Any news on whether or not this will become available in Accordance?

No news as of now.

Archived