Bookends and Endnote??

Tom Castle

Hey folks. I was reading the new Accordance review listed in this topic. The author made mention of the programs Endnote and Bookends as being critical utilities for the bible student.

What are these programs used for as it relates to biblical studies?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Both programs are for managing your bibliographic databases and share common functions such as advanced searching, internet integration, and formatting footnotes and bibliographies for research papers. In my experience Bookends is the better choice hands-down and is available for a fraction of the cost of Endnote. (For $99 you can get both Bookends and Mellel - $79 if you are a student). Read the reviews and you'll see I'm not alone in my opinion or recommendation. ;) Better yet, download it and see for yourself. http://www.sonnysoftware.com/index.html

Can you give some details on how you actually use it?? I know this may seem elementary but it would be very useful to me.

Bookends and Endnote are used to manage all of your bibliographic information: books, magazines, journal articles, etc. These applications make it easy for you to search the internet and find these references and input them into the papers you write. Or, you can input this information yourself. You will then have a list of all the resources you've used in your researching, and an easy way to cite them in your papers. I hope this helps!

By the way, Bookends gets my vote. I am a graduate student at Harvard Divinity School, and it is indispensible. Endnote is more popular, perhaps, but has been over-developed and buggy when used with Microsoft Word. Bookends is very user-friendly and is supported wonderfully by Jon at Sonnysoft.

The demo will give you a good feel for how to apply this to your uses. There is also a tutorial that is invaluable. If you do research and need to organize your resources, give Bookends a try!

Thanks everyone for the input... very interesting application.

Tom,

I'm currently using both to decide which I want to adopt. However, if you're not writing academic papers, I don't know why you'd want/need it. Save your money/hard disk space for something more productive for you.

Joe,

Thanks for the advice. Thats why I was asking this question. I do not write academic papers but I was wondering if anyone uses this software for general studies, sermon preparation, etc.

It seems like one of the benefits of the software is that it is a single place to compile references from different sources into one place. Is that accurate?? Is it beneficial for future reference? Is there a better solution out there for that type of work?

• 2 weeks later...

I do use Bookends for academic papers, but I am also starting to use it for sermon prep and keeping tabs on who's got my books! There is an Abstract box which I fill with information (so tbr=to be read, lo=lent out etc.). I can then set up smart folders that list books/articles that have been tagged in that way. Basically, you can use it as a dabase.

There is a Bookends/Mellel offer at the moment (www.mellel.com). Both can be tried before purchase, and the integration between Bookends and Mellel is good and strong.

Archived