Oral pronunciation of Greek words

Russ

Many years ago, I took Koine Greek I in college. I was not active in the usage of Koine Greek after the course and consequently forgot the language and rules.

Now I am retired and would like to have a method to have the individual Greek words in a Interlinear New Testament orally pronounced by clicking on them.

I have found a website that does this but is restricted to PC's.

Does anyone knows of a software program or website that will provide this information?

I would greatly appreciate if anyone can provide me with any information.

Russ

Accordance uses Apple's built-in speech synthesis (with your choice of voices and words-per-minute rate!) to provide fairly accurate pronunciation of both Greek and Hebrew.

Settings are in the Preferences under Speech, and you can speak a selection by pressing cmd-9 or going to the Amplify menu > Language > Speak.

Accordance uses Apple's built-in speech synthesis (with your choice of voices and words-per-minute rate!) to provide fairly accurate pronunciation of both Greek and Hebrew.

Settings are in the Preferences under Speech, and you can speak a selection by pressing cmd-9 or going to the Amplify menu > Language > Speak.

Thanks, Dr. Kang for your suggestion. I'll give it a try.

Russ

• 12 years later...
32 minutes ago, rev.newson said:

How do you do this in the Windows version?

I have no clue. This have to answer someone with a Win machine. 

But have you seen on the Mounce Greek Dict. that it has now a loudspeaker icon? 1732027894_Bildschirmfoto2021-06-25um16_15_16.png.f0baf9fcb65f7b7b20ff801ff7bd14bd.png

But I'm not impressed:-) The υ is spoken like a German u, instead of a German ü or French u. And in general it is more American English than Greek:-)

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2009 at 5:40 PM, jpkang said:

This sounds like a modern Greek pronunciation with η, υ, ει, οι all being about the same.

If you subscribe to other pronunciation models, such a reconstructed roman imperial period this won't sound like that in certain places, but it's a better match than a strict Erasmian would be.

Thx

D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rev.newson said:

How do you do this in the Windows version?

This is not currently available for Windows within Accordance. I got a popup saying that when I tried to do Lookup->Speak

Thx

D

There is a way to hear Greek read in Windows, but...

1) You first have to go into Windows Language settings and add Greek. (This is modern Greek, not just the keyboard you use for typing.) You'll have to do a restart after installing it.

2) In Accordance preferences, go to Export, and choose to strip accents and breathing marks.

3) Copy what you want read and paste into a Word doc. Make sure that Word knows it it Greek. (Check language at the bottom of the Word window)

4) In Word, there is an option to read text. (I use it for proofing in English.) I've added the "Read Aloud" icon to my Quick Access Toolbar at the top. Push the button to read, and Stephanos will read the Greek.

As noted above, it's basically a modern Greek pronunciation, but that actually is closer to the Koine than the Erasmian system most of us were taught.

So... it can be done, but not in Accordance, and probably not worth the work!

Edited by mgvh
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2009 at 5:40 PM, jpkang said:

jpkang, I like your idea about the Mac built-in speech synthesis, but I have found it does not work great with Accordance since if you select a word for it to speak, it will start speaking the whole paragraph or book.

I have found this to be an issue with a few 3rd party programs also. For example, if I use the speech synthesis for MacMail, or Pages, it works great, but if I try it with OpenOffice sometimes it reads the word I selected, and sometimes it reads the whole page. It seems to handle Accordance like that too.

Has anyone else had that issue or know how to fix it? I would love to be able to select text in Accordance and have the Mac speech synthesis read it.

Kristin

p.s. - I just noticed this quote was from 2009! oops!!

Edited by Kristin
adding a p.s. after noticing the date of the quote I used