Webinars to Podcasts

Timothy Jenney

Thank you all for your enthusiastic support of our webinars, but we are going to have to discontinue them for the time being. The reason is... [drum roll, please], we are going to podcasts!

Some [not all] of our webinars have been beset by technical problems beyond our control. Most of them have to do with the state of the internet at this time. The chief problem seems to be that the quality of the session is dependent upon the amount of traffic on the internet at any given time. We have a transmission "leg" from Dr. J's computer [recently upgraded to Roadrunner Broadband Turbo Plus, with little improvement] to WebEx, then another "leg" from WebEx to each of the webinar attendees [whose experience varies widely depending on the quality of their connection]. We've even had to cancel a webinar or two.

While we are going to miss the interactivity of the webinar format, we feel the quality of the podcasts will make up for it. Once uploaded, users will be able to access them at their leisure through their computers, iPhones, iPods, Apple TVs, etc. Yes, you will even be able to subscribe to them through iTunes. Your computer would then download them automatically, sync them to your iPod [if you like], where you could watch them while waiting in line or while you are caught in traffic. [Please, not while you are driving! We don't want to lose any of you! ;)]

It will take us a few weeks to get the new format up and running, so be patient. We'll be back in touch soon.

Two thumbs up for this idea! Dr. J will you be doing the podcasts?

Excellent! Thanks for doing the webinars and upcoming podcast. They have been very helpful.

Randy

Thanks for you enthusiasm and support, guys!

Yes, I will be doing the podcasts. We've got lots to learn in the few weeks before our first production, so keep us in prayer.

• 7 months later...

Thank you all for your enthusiastic support of our webinars, but we are going to have to discontinue them for the time being. The reason is... [drum roll, please], we are going to podcasts!

Some [not all] of our webinars have been beset by technical problems beyond our control. Most of them have to do with the state of the internet at this time. The chief problem seems to be that the quality of the session is dependent upon the amount of traffic on the internet at any given time. We have a transmission "leg" from Dr. J's computer [recently upgraded to Roadrunner Broadband Turbo Plus, with little improvement] to WebEx, then another "leg" from WebEx to each of the webinar attendees [whose experience varies widely depending on the quality of their connection]. We've even had to cancel a webinar or two.

While we are going to miss the interactivity of the webinar format, we feel the quality of the podcasts will make up for it. Once uploaded, users will be able to access them at their leisure through their computers, iPhones, iPods, Apple TVs, etc. Yes, you will even be able to subscribe to them through iTunes. Your computer would then download them automatically, sync them to your iPod [if you like], where you could watch them while waiting in line or while you are caught in traffic. [Please, not while you are driving! We don't want to lose any of you! ;)]

It will take us a few weeks to get the new format up and running, so be patient. We'll be back in touch soon.

I am interested in doing some podcasts for our publishing ministry here in Bradford Pennsylvania. I use a MacBook Pro (Intel Mac) running Leopard (OSX 10.5). Could you tell me what kind of software I will need (and hardware)? We have a high speed cable modem connection (5mbps), plus our own website.

I just watched Dr. J's podcast on the new features of 8.4. Very helpful. Excellent explanation of the Copy As Citation and Bibliography preferences. And the new search dialog box offering the option of ANY or ALL words was a great addition to the search routine. Much appreciated.

Hi, Edward!

Please to hear you are finding the podcasts helpful.

As to producing your own, it depends entirely on what you want to produce. Some people simply use the Mac's built-in camera and internal microphone and either GarageBand or iMovie. I have also heard of people using an A/V recording from a DV camera. At the top end, you have a three camera system with a dedicated studio, a shotgun mike and Apple's Final Cut software.

Our podcasts require screen recording software, so I use Telestream's ScreenFlow 2 to record and produce them. I use Keynote to produce the graphics and an original Apple iSight camera (though any DV camera capable of streaming video to a Mac will work) to record video. You'll also need some way of getting audio into your computer. The simplest is some sort of USB microphone; I use a rather more complicated system. It's all a matter of balancing costs and quality.

Apple has a wonderful three-part tutorial on producing podcasts I'd recommend: The Podcast Recipe: http://seminars.apple.com/seminarsonline/podcast/apple/.

Have fun! :-)

Archived