Which modules/Does Life App Study Bible contain graphics?
Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:00 AM
1. Does the Life Application Study Bible or NIV Study Bible module contain graphics like the print versions? Is there a way to find out by searching the module(s)?
2. Is there a list anywhere of which modules contain graphics?
3. Is there a way to search for graphics within a module or a group of modules? For instance, how could I search for a graphic of the temple without finding all the articles that don't contain a graphic? If you search ESV Study Bible for "temple" in the title you find 52 hits, six of which contain graphics. If you search for "temple" in English Content you find 1532 hits which contain graphics of the temple not included if you search by title, but who wants to scroll through all 1532 hits?
Right now my list of modules containing graphics include:
ESV Study Bible
Am I missing any?
Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:47 AM
I've actually been thinking a lot lately about ways to make the graphics in Accordance tools more accessible. I'm afraid we've been somewhat uneven in the way we've handled graphics. In some modules, we actually have a captions field devoted to the captions for various images. For example, the Biblical Archaeology Review archive has a captions field, as does the Holman Illustrated Dictionary. But we didn't do this for a number of tools we should have. For example, the Zondervan Pictorial Encyclopedia (which I worked on, so it's my own fault) does not have a captions field.
In some tools, such as the NIV Study Bible or the ESV Study Bible, there is a list of maps and charts at the beginning or end of the tool, but again, we haven't done that for all of them. I'd like to see us add a more uniform way to search for graphics, but I have no idea when that will happen.
At any rate, to answer your questions:
1. The NIV Study Bible Notes do have images, but the Life App Study Bible notes do not appear to.
2. No, we don't have a list of every module which contains images. Many just contain one or two.
3. As far as searching the ESV Study Bible for images, there are a couple things you can do, but they're admittedly somewhat clumsy workarounds.
a. Most of the maps, charts, and illustrations appear as articles which sort of float between verse notes. Thus, where a verse note will have both a verse reference and a title, the illustrations will usually have a title with no verse reference. To search for all of these titles which contain the word "temple," you could search the Title field for temple, then open the More options and choose to search an additional field. Choose Reference and enter gen-rev. Change the AND pop-up to the left of this field to NOT, then click OK. This will find all the separate articles (not verse notes) which mention temple. Most of those contain illustrations or maps.
b. Most of the illustrations are accompanied by a copyright notice. If you search the English Content field for copyright and set the Show pop-up menu to just show the hit articles, you can quickly scroll through most of the illustrations. That won't include the maps or charts, however.
I hope that helps.
Feet to Follow, Eyes to See
Macs in the Ministry
Leader of the "Lang Gang"
Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:33 PM
So, here's my list of modules containing graphics:
ESV Study Bible
NIV Study Bible
And here's my list of modules containing maps:
NIV Place Names
I set these up as Groups so that I can search for illustrations/graphics. Anyone have any corrections or additions????
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users