Newbie Question: Setting the Range for Searches

Diggertoo

What is the best way to set the range for a given book of the Bible (I will use all 66 in time) so I can do multiple searches within that book, before moving on to another book? For instance, maybe I want to do some work in the Book of Matthew and pull up individual search lists for the words, "Jesus", "saying", "will", "king", "kingdom", "heaven", etc. I know there has to be a better way than typing in the name of every book in the Bible into the "More Options" "All Text" "Define Range" box.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jay

Jay,

You can use the AND command, followed by the RANGE command for temporary ranges, but if you want permanent ranges for each book of the Bible, you do need to define them in the Define Ranges dialog box. OR . . .

You can have my Ranges, in which I've already defined ranges for each book of the Bible. They're available for download here:

http://www.accordancefiles1.com/exchange/highlights.htm

Not sure why they're listed under highlights, but if you download the Ranges item, then replace the Ranges file you have inside your User folder-->Library-->Preferences-->Accordance Preferences, you'll have more ranges than you can shake a stick at.

Note: You'll need to quit and relaunch Accordance to see the new ranges.

Not sure why they're listed under highlights,

No wonder I couldn't find them. I downloaded them a while ago and was trying to find them for him. :)

Mr. Diggertoo,

You said you were looking for a "better way" to search for some words in one book and then switch to the next book, rise and repeat.

You might say more about what your aim is here, because it's quite possible that there is a better way of getting at what you're wanting to see. The Table Analysis window along with other reports is really quite good, and you might be surprised.

You may know exactly what you're doing, so ignore me otherwise. But, have a look at something as cool as the Analysis Graph:

post-16-1244876390_thumb.png

That's just the result of searching for

Jesus <OR> king <OR> heaven

Joe,

As for the Table Analysis, I haven't used that feature yet. You are probably right that I'd be surprised by it, but I don't know how to make use of it at this point. If you'd like to enlighten me or send me a link to some more information on how to get the most out of that feature, I'd appreciate it. I am trying to save copies of other users tips so that when I get to a given feature I can better understand what it's there for and how to make use of it. Thanks for the info.

You asked about what I am trying to accomplish. Well, reading through the Bible over time we've all come across repeated words and phrases. I mentally classify these as (1) words or phrases used frequently in a given book or (2) those which are used across a number of books or found throughout the Bible. When my focus is on a given book, I try to go back a search on each of those repeated words or phrases for further study. For instance in preparation for teaching some lessons on the miracles mentioned in the Book of John I noticed the repeated mention of "Jesus", which isn't surprising. But it did surprise me to find that "Jesus" is mentioned 256 times in the Book of John alone (NKJ). Building a list of those verses and going through them helped me better understand why and how the repeated mention of "Jesus" is connected to the overall theme of the book as mentioned in John 20:30-31. I take that as God is trying to get a message across to me that I want to better understand. Doing those kinds of things helps with my personal application of the word.

Jay

Jay,

As I suspected, I think you would be best served by obtaining an understanding of the powerful Details options that allow you to examine search results in table and graph forms.

I wager that the most valuable ten minutes you could spend in the next week would be watching the Accordance Training Video chapter on "Getting Statistical Details".

Go to the training videos here, and select "Getting Statistical Details".

And on other occasions, I highly suggest you start with chapter one and work through them all.

Archived