I've uploaded the file to the Accordance Exchange. Note: since the site redesign (looks good, by the way) I couldn't find any link to either the instructions (http://www.accordanc...ge/instruct.htm) or to the upload page (http://www.accordanc...pload.php5.html). Had to google around to find it. Maybe I just missed it.
The conversion process was 'automatic' in the sense that I didn't have to do any copy-and-paste or manually edit the text. Sadly, I do not have a program that can convert any text into one for importing into Accordance. Here's what I did:
I downloaded the two zip files from http://www.tyndaleho...lles/page9.html and unzipped them. There are two .doc files which are word docs. I opened them up and saved them as a text file (a file that will end in .txt).
Here's where things get tricky. We need to change the formatting so it matches the formatting described in file://localhost/Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Accordance%20Help/Default.htm#topics/05_dd/preparing_the_text-ub.htm. The text looks like this:
<Page = 1><Title = ΕΥΑΓΓΕΛΙΟΝ ΚΑΤΑ ΜΑΘΘΑΙΟΝ.>
<SB>Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ υἱοῦ Δαυεὶδ υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ.
Ἀβραὰμ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἰσαάκ· Ἰσαὰκ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἰακώβ· Ἰακὼβ δὲ ἐγέννησεν τὸν Ἰούδαν καὶ τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς αὐτοῦ·
It's mostly in a correct format but there is extraneous information. We could hand-edit it or write a program to transform it for us. Or we could do something that's slightly in between the two.
I use a text editor called VIM which allows me to do complex operations on an entire text file all at once. Two such operations are an advanced find and replace (called a "regular expression") and a second operation that allows me perform actions on a line that match some criteria.
According to http://www.tyndaleho...les/page7.html:
The meta-data included in the transcription are all within angular brackets < >, except for the verse numbering, which is always preceded by $$$ and follows a fixed format throughout. Included are page <Page = xxx>, Title <Title = ...>, Subscription <Subsc = ...>, Section break <SB>, and Paragraph break <PB>.
We need to replace <SB> and <PB> with the paragraph symbol so Accordance can import it correctly. We need to remove $$$, <Page ...>, <Title ...>, and <Subsc ...>. This can be done with any text editor. But we also need to change the verse format from: "Mat.1.1" to "Mat. 1:1" and join the line the verse is on to the previous one.
Here's how I do that in VIM:
Colon gets me so I can enter a command, "%" means the whole file, "s" means substitute. There are three slashes - between the first and second is the thing we are looking for and between the second and third there is the thing we want to replace it with. At the end there is a "g" for global.
Those two commands replace the <SB> and <PB> throughout the file with a paragraph symbol.
Next we can get rid of the the parts we don't want with a similar command:
This removes three dollar signs ("$$$") that begin a line. The formatting is a bit different because it is a regular expression. A caret means to match the beginning of a line. The backslashes are there because normally a dollar sign means "match end of line" but we want to match a literal dollar sign.
We can remove the remaining meta-data with this command:
That matches an open angle bracket followed by anything (which is what the period means) any number of times (which is what the star means) followed by a close angel bracket. It replaces it with nothing - i.e. it is deleted from the line.
Now, two major things remain: changing the verse citation format and joining the verse citation and verse lines together. Regular expressions can remember what they match in the "find" part to be re-used in the "replace" part.
This pattern looks crazy, but it's mostly because of VIM's regular expression syntax. A backslash followed by a parenthesis creates a "capture group" so we can remember what we found. The "\d" means match a digit, and the "\+" means match one or more. The "\." means match a literal period. Basically, we're matching any number of digits followed by a period followed by any number of digits. The capture groups means we remember both the chapters (stored in "\1") and the verses (stored in "\2"). So we format it as Chapter:Verse just as Accordance expects it.
Now we need to join the lines together. In VIM you can do this by typing J (a capital J) and the line below will be joined to the line above. To do that, we're going to use the global command.
The global command (":g") takes a regular expression and then runs any command on lines that match. The lines we want to match look like any digit followed by a colon followed by any digit. That will match any lines that have verse citations. Then we run the "J" command in "normal" mode. That's a VIM peculiarity which is a bit difficult to explain.
After that, I tried to import the .txt file as a User Bible. I think I had a few minor snags that required some manual cleanup but nothing major. One of them was formatting John 7:53-8:11. Another was removing some extra spaces.
If all of the details aren't immediately clear 1) I probably wrote things unclear and 2) the material is hard. I've spent most of my working career using VIM and learning this stuff for my everyday programming work. It is certainly not simple but it is indeed very powerful.
If this information was useful to anyone, I can take more thorough notes and screenshots when I do my conversions and blog about how I converted it step by step.