1Tim 5:22 Scofield's Notes

Dan Wagner

There is a strange insertion here at 1 Tim 5:22 under Scofields notes:

"Pontius Pilate: armed with a javelin. The governor of Judea during Christ

Scofield includes these little biographical sketches to help explain who people are, but I have no idea why this description of Pilate would be inserted here. I may be mistaken, but I vaguely remember checking this against the print edition and finding that the print edition included the description here. I was tempted to remove it, but decided to follow the print edition.

Without having a print copy in front of me right now, I have no way of being sure if I'm remembering this correctly or just making it up! ;)

I checked the print edition and there is a biographical note there about Pontius Pilate, however, it is set off by lines above and below, which means that it doesn't go with the normal flow of the study notes. The note should be properly attached to 1 Timothy 6:13. In the print edition it makes sense visually, but that is lost in the electronic edition.

I looked up my grandmother's Scofield (the Old Scofield, pre-1967) and the New Scofield. The Old Scofield does NOT have any notes, but the New Scofield does

Archived