Transliteration of Hebrew

Harry Hoffner

As one who writes technical articles and books which require the occasional use of transliterated Hebrew, I would like Accordance to come into the Unicode age by adjusting the "Copy by transliteration" option so that the ʿayin uses O2BE and the ʾaleph 02BF -- i.e., the real Unicode characters for transliterating those characters. Currently it uses the open and closed single quote mark, which I have to manually replace every time I insert a transliterated ʿayin or ʾaleph from Accordance. In general, I would like to see its transliteration adhere as closely as possible to the SBL Handbook style for academic (not general) transliteration, or at least give users an option in the Copy menu to use which of the two they prefer.

As a non-academic, I'd rather keep transliteration as simple and readable as possible. Perhaps, if a change is to be made, it could be a preference setting -- a choice of simple transliteration or transliterate as SBL.

As a non-academic, I'd rather keep transliteration as simple and readable as possible. Perhaps, if a change is to be made, it could be a preference setting -- a choice of simple transliteration or transliterate as SBL.

A preference setting would be fine with me, as would my suggestion of an addition of the option to the Copy as... menu item. Just so long as the facility is there for those of us who need it on a regular basis. :rolleyes:

We will try to correct this now. It does not need to be a separate item, just a correction for those who export transliteration to Unicode.

You'll also need to change the distinction of שׂ (sin) as ś, and שׁ (shin) as š. Currently the transliteration export gives ś for both.

In addition to correcting the ś and š, I notice that all of the beged kefet letters are marked as with frication (viz. ḇg̱ḏḵp̱ṯ) regardless of position.

Archived