What's Your Favorite New Feature of 8.3?

David Lang

As most of you know, we've just released a free update to Accordance 8.3. This update has a ridiculous number of new features, and if you follow the forums regularly, you'll notice that a great many of them are direct responses to the requests you've made here.

So I'm curious to know which of the new features you like best and which you're finding most helpful.

Tops for me is the new functionality of the Instant Details box, especially the ability to copy the contents.

I did noticed some changes. But it runs so slow in my IMAC.

Tops for me is the new functionality of the Instant Details box, especially the ability to copy the contents.

I too like the new functionality of the Instant Details box. But one thing I will have to think about is incorporating it into my workflow. Since you can't scroll the Instant Details window, you can only see as much as the size of the ID window allows, which for HALOT, BDB, or BDAG the window has to be pretty big. But then it takes up valuable desktop space. From a recent post, I got the idea of having the ID window disappear when not in use and then reappear (over the search line and tabs) when I hover over something tagged. I find this useful, but then when I have a User Tool edit window open and my cursor touches any text in it then the ID window appears when, at that moment, is not wanted. So far I still have the ID window set to disappear and reappear, but in times when I don't want it at all I simply get rid of it with option-cmd-3. I'll have to think more about other ways to adjust my workflow with this new functionality.

What have other people done? Can you give me some other ideas?

I did noticed some changes. But it runs so slow in my IMAC.

Alberto, have you tried the steps Joel mentioned in this post? The first thing to do is restart your iMac.

HTH

The Copy as Citation feature for Key number texts, such as the NAS95S and NIV-G/K, now removes the 'S' or '-G/K' from the name so that the citation is cleaner.

Thank You!!! :D

--

Brett

As most of you know, we've just released a free update to Accordance 8.3. This update has a ridiculous number of new features, and if you follow the forums regularly, you'll notice that a great many of them are direct responses to the requests you've made here.

So I'm curious to know which of the new features you like best and which you're finding most helpful.

A lot of these features seem to be minor tweaks to the interface and functionality. Many of them I understand and find convenient. Others I'm not sure what they do (e.g., some of the added menu options).

I am pretty excited about the added keyboard shortcuts to cycle through various texts/tools in panes in addition to the search text.

A lot of these features seem to be minor tweaks to the interface and functionality. Many of them I understand and find convenient. Others I'm not sure what they do (e.g., some of the added menu options).

I am pretty excited about the added keyboard shortcuts to cycle through various texts/tools in panes in addition to the search text.

I believe a lot of the added menu options are for Mac interface consistency, universal access, and custom keyboard shortcut assignment.

Anybody discovered Copy As User Tool Link yet? It copies the current module, field, and search so that you can easily paste properly formatted link into a user tool.

Oh, and if you want to link to a paragraph you happen to be looking at in a tool, select some unique text, click the Search button on the Resource palette to perform a search, and then use Copy As User Tool Link to create the link.

Copy as user tool link is definitely my favorite! (Just upgraded to Snow Leopard this morning then 8.3)

thanks SO much for this feature! Makes life much easier.

Mike

I like the ability to copy the instant details box, too. I also like the keyboard shortcuts shown in the dropdown menus for bibles. I miss the highlighting of associated words in the tagged Greek and Hebrew bibles (GNT-T and BHS-W4) when hovering with the pointer over a word in a tagged English bible like the ESVS. I found that feature helpful in my Greek and Hebrew studies. The blue border around the active pane sometimes appears and sometimes it is a very faint blue or not there.

Anybody discovered Copy As User Tool Link yet? It copies the current module, field, and search so that you can easily paste properly formatted link into a user tool.

Oh, and if you want to link to a paragraph you happen to be looking at in a tool, select some unique text, click the Search button on the Resource palette to perform a search, and then use Copy As User Tool Link to create the link.

This is one of the ones I was not certain about. I have an idea of the end result, but how does it work (non-computer programmer language please)? I do link to tools frequently. For example I often link to COS by reference. Am I able to do it another way like to a particular paragraph of a text instead of just the beginning of the text? And does this new feature enable the user to more easily create that link? Please explain further.

I miss the highlighting of associated words in the tagged Greek and Hebrew bibles (GNT-T and BHS-W4) when hovering with the pointer over a word in a tagged English bible like the ESVS. I found that feature helpful in my Greek and Hebrew studies.

This Key highlighting feature is still there, but you may need to turn it on again in the Preferences: Instant Details. Since we added a new setting (albeit not in Preferences) that recalls the orientation of the window, it seems to have turned off that preference for some people.

This is one of the ones I was not certain about. I have an idea of the end result, but how does it work (non-computer programmer language please)? I do link to tools frequently. For example I often link to COS by reference. Am I able to do it another way like to a particular paragraph of a text instead of just the beginning of the text? And does this new feature enable the user to more easily create that link? Please explain further.

The end result link is the same as before, but creating it is much easier. You first "amplify" to the section you want (select some text and click the Search button on the Resource palette) and in that new window you use Copy As User Tool Link. Then you can paste the entire link into the User Tool edit window, select it and click Make Link. It does all the formatting of the link for you.

Thanks, Helen. Key highlighting is on now. I thought it might be in preferences. I just didn't know where to look. And now the active pane has a blue border, too. Great.

The end result link is the same as before, but creating it is much easier. You first "amplify" to the section you want (select some text and click the Search button on the Resource palette) and in that new window you use Copy As User Tool Link. Then you can paste the entire link into the User Tool edit window, select it and click Make Link. It does all the formatting of the link for you.

I've just tried it out and it is fantastic. I know I will use this all the time!

One thing I noticed though... In the same User Tool I have links to COS that link to reference and then adding this new feature the link is by "Texts". In my workspace I have a tab for COS saved. When I click on any of the links from my User Tool that are linked by reference they go right to it (I have the tab set to recycle contents). However, if I then click on the link that is linked by "Texts", a new COS tab is opened instead of going to my COS tab I already had set up. This seems to clutter the workspace with multiple tabs opening up. Is there a way that the variously formatted links could link only to one tab?

It might be easily overlooked since its relatively small, but the 'double-click verses' to return to full text after a search is just wonderful. So simple and intuitive, I will use it constantly. (I have been asking for something along these lines for a wee while, thank you for listening).

Perhaps there might be an option in the future to return to last known location instead of Gen 1:1. Saying this, the new hyperjump to books from the 'go to' box does the business.

This is an outstanding update.

Thank you.

Not totally sure this is a new feature in 8.3, but when I triple-click it no longer just does a search on the first relevant tool, but instead brings up the first tool with actual results!

Love the ^[1-0] on the search selection! I move like Master Tigress across the keyboard now (or so my daughter says).

Thanks for this treasure trove of great features!

Mike

I've just tried it out and it is fantastic. I know I will use this all the time!

One thing I noticed though... In the same User Tool I have links to COS that link to reference and then adding this new feature the link is by "Texts". In my workspace I have a tab for COS saved. When I click on any of the links from my User Tool that are linked by reference they go right to it (I have the tab set to recycle contents). However, if I then click on the link that is linked by "Texts", a new COS tab is opened instead of going to my COS tab I already had set up. This seems to clutter the workspace with multiple tabs opening up. Is there a way that the variously formatted links could link only to one tab?

No, this is the way Accordance has always worked: a window is recycled only if the settings are the same. If your links use different fields they will open in different tabs.

I'm glad that you got it out so quickly to iron out the couple of kinks from Snow Leopard. I only had a few minor issues, but you fixed them all and it's running great! It's definitely faster on Snow Leopard than Leopard! And I love having Accordance 8 being Intel native now (I know, I FINALLY recently upgraded!).

BTW, nice new forums look! I love it!

No, this is the way Accordance has always worked: a window is recycled only if the settings are the same. If your links use different fields they will open in different tabs.

To accomodate this, I've simply added another tab to my workspace to search "Texts". While this is perhaps not ideal, the new functionality of "copy as user tool link" far outweighs any inconveniences from having two COS tabs on the same workspace. In fact, having two COS tabs open may end up being preferable anyway to be able to toggle back and forth between two texts or between two sections of one text.

After limited observation, I like the changes to the Instant Details box, exp. the expanded information and the ability to copy.

Jack

After a day or so with it, I really like the additions to the instant details window. With these new changes, it would be really helpful if it was scrollable. Not sure how difficult that would be..

My favorite new feature has got to be the new functionality of the instant details window. Copy and paste is great, but the best is command (then shift to lock) displaying first item in languages menu (HALOT & BDAG in my case). Good work team.

Archived