Install Accordance 8.3 fails :error not enough access privileges

Michael Johnson

My attempt to upgrade to Accordance 8.3 failed and won't install.

I am getting "Error Creating File 1008:5-5000 Access Denied Error" in a dialog box and the description that it is installing the Widget Readme.rtf file.

It stalls with 79 items remaining to install (and seems to be accessing my boot volume at this point). The installation will not proceed past this point and terminates.

My previous install of Accordance 8.23 is undamaged and remains functional thank goodness.

I am running 10.4.11 on an older G4. I do have my Accordance Folder on a 2nd internal hard drive (not the boot volume). I have had no errors or problems upgrading in the past with previous versions of Accordance upgrades with this arrangement.

I have the Accordance folder on the 2nd hard drive to save space on my boot volume and have run Accorance with no problems for years this way.

It occurred to me to try to install the upgrade to my boot volume in Applications (where no previous Accordance folder exists) and that too failed with the same errors.

This isn't a Leopard ONLY or Intel ONLY version of Accordance is it? (as I am running an older Tiger 10.4.11 on a G4)

Thanks in advance for advice.

It sounds as though your actual Accordance is being updated fine, and it is only complaining about the later part of installing the widget. First of all, don't worry, this is not Leopard only nor Intel only. It'll still run on PPC and it will run on anything 10.3.9 or higher. Now then, it sounds as though you have a write-protected file already called the widget read me on your desktop. So, look on your desktop for a file called "Accordance Widget Read Me.rtf" and try removing it. My guess is that this was left there from a previous installation, somehow had its permissions changed, and now can't be replaced by the newer Read Me file. Let me know if this helps.

Thank you Joel Brown for your prompt & courteous reply.

I searched in vain for the file "Accordance Widget Read Me.rtf" file and no such file found on either volume. I use file utility File Buddy and searched for anything with any part of those names & anything Accordance related. Found nothing of interest except "widget-com.oaktree.widget.Accordance.plist" which was locked, and unlocking made no difference.

I found and removed (trashed and emptied Trash) an existing Accordance widget found in ~/lib/widgets/.

I also tried running the installer for Accordance 8.22 (which I had run successfully in the recent past) and it also failed with essentially same error.

Any other ideas as what might be causing what seems to be a permissions error on my boot volume?

All parts of Accordance 8.3 #248 down to #83 seem to be installing fine on the 2nd volume (where existing Accordance 8.23 is located). At this point installer seems to pause, then seems to be searching my boot volume , quickly adds some files I think are FONTS, and stalls at item 79, indicating it is installing "Accordance Widget Read Me.rtf" file. After clicking Okay, it closes error dialog and dialog stating "you do not have correct privileges for this installation". After closing this, the installer QUITS .

My existing Accordance 8.23 still continues to run fine with no damage, and seems untouched by the failed updater install attempt.

Could it be some Accordance FONTS? I run Font Agent Pro (and have for years with no problems with Accordance in past) but I think I had in recent months updated Font Agent Pro to a newer version. Should I attempt to remove Accordance FONTS and try again?

I have another G4 , and iMac also running Tiger 10.4.11 .. Should I attempt to install 8.3 on it, and COPY over if successful, Accordance 8.3 application to the problem G4 Mac?

I am puzzled with what seems to be an errant and perplexing permissions problem.

Everything else seems to be fine with my G4 Mac and all diagnostics & permission repair seem to check out okay.

I do not think it is a Font issue. I assume you have tried restarting the Mac. It won't hurt to run permissions repair in Disk Utility either, and see if that corrects it.

You certainly can install 8.3 on another Mac and copy it over. None of the other files that the installer includes were actually updated this time except the widget and the read me.

However, we would like to get to the bottom of the issue you are having, rather than just bypass it.

I'm going to contact you directly and set up some time to see what exactly is going on. For those reading, I'll report back here the issue and solution once they have been found.

It seems as though Mike's problem has been resolved. He has been an Accordance user for many years, and at some point between all of the system upgrades, computer upgrades, and Accordance upgrades, one of the files had gotten corrupted, to the point that it caused the entire installer to stop. Starting clean again fixed the issues, and all seems to be well.

Archived