User Tool Issue in 8.3

Greg Terry

I have ran across a problem with user tools created with Accordance 8.3. I am able to successfully import a user tool but when I attempt to insert or delete a character, I get an error message stating 'Cannot exceed 180000 characters' with an OK button. If I have requested a character delete, it will do that after I click 'OK', but if I am attempting to add a character, it does not do anything after pressing 'OK'. I am able to change formatting of the file but cannot add anything to it.

Curiously, this does not occur if I attempt to edit a user tool created with prior version of Accordance no matter the size of the file I am editing. The file I created in 8.3 was 233k in html form. I successfully edited in Accordance v 8.3 a file that was MANY times larger created with a prior version of Accordance. It seems to be more a limitation involving those created with 8.3 than with the file size. I have created a second test file using text from the 'What's new in 8.3' page and enlarged it by copying and pasting the text several times and it exhibited the same problem with the 180000 character limit error.

My setup is as follows:

iMac 2.66Hz Core 2 Duo

4GB RAM

Snow Leopard 10.6

Accordance 8.3

I hope that this can be resolved. The user tool feature has become an important part of my Accordance library. Thanks for your help!

Have you tried to reset the block size in Preferences: Edit windows?

I was able to reproduce the error with a small block size, but not with large. It occurs in OS 10.5 as well, and the number given is related to the block size. It happens in older tools, not just newly created ones in 8.3, but I agree that the message and limitation are new to 8.3, and we will look into it.

Helen:

I had it set to Large for block size. Out of curiosity I set the block size to Medium and received a 'Cannot exceed 60000 characters' error. When I set it to small, I received a 'Cannot exceed 20000 characters' error.

Once I set the block size back to Large, I tried several user tools that I had created with a prior versions of Accordance and there was no problems editing them. However, the two newly created user tools still gave me the error when attempting to edit them.

Thanks for looking into this.

Further information on this issue:

Today while I was working on importing an item, it seemed to work fine until I had to re-imported the item several times (making adjustments in a n external text editor). Then I started getting the dreaded 'Cannot exceed 180000 characters' error.

A fix is on the way.

I'm glad there is. I and one of my class mates have also experienced this problem.

Thanks, Helen.

Once again, Accordance support is the BEST of any software company I have ever encountered.

Archived