Small Caps in NAS95S quotations?

Aaron Hunyady

I was reading Rom. 9:25-29 (NAS95S) today and realized the quotation from Hosea is improperly formatted (it's small caps). I don't have anything against small caps, but in this case, each word is capitalized, which looks bad. I've attached an image to clarify what I'm talking about.

I checked other versions and the quotation is not displayed this way

post-1344-125449937377_thumb.png

I believe this is the way the NAS 95 identifies Old Testament quotes. It is neither a mistake nor could (should) be changed. You will notice this is done for all O.T. quotes in this version.

Tom

We each have our own opinion of what looks good or is readable. However, from a typography standpoint, it's OK to use small caps for the OT quotes, but it's not OK to use small caps if you're going to put a regular cap for the first letter of EVERY word.

I don't know what is in the print version, but over at the publisher's website they display the OT quotes using proper small caps (only giving a regular cap to the words that would normally be capitalized).

My question is: why is Accordance not displaying the text the same way as the Lockman Foundation? If it's a bug in the app or a formatting mistake in the module, I'd like to bring it to their attention so it can be corrected in future releases.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have to agree with you that it looks bad right now, and does not match the printed text. My guess is that this was instroduced when an attempt was made to convert text that was in all caps to small caps. Perhaps there was no way to automatically identify the words which do need capitalization. It may still be impossible to automate, and a lot of work to do by hand, but we will look into the possibility of correcting it for the next release.

Small caps are a style that is not supported in general by the clipboard, so iot does not get exported from Accordance.

Archived