Installation question...

Ramiro

I had the superdrive on my MacBook Pro go out in the last few days to where it won't ready any discs. I inquired in the Apple store and they told me it costs between $250-$350 to get it fixed. Is there another way to install Bibles and modules in a case like this. FWIW, I have tried doing the remote sharing of the disc on my PC to read the Snow Leopard install disc, but that feature apparently only works for the MacBook Air. I want to get a Bible but it says it only comes within a package, which comes on a disc. I'd rather not have to spend the $$ to fix this since I use the superdrive on my MBP only very few times a year.

Here's the info on using Remote Disk on your MacBook Pro:

http://www.hutsby.net/2009/08/using-remote-disc-on-non-macbook-air.html

You also might be interested in replacing your Superdrive with another hard drive. You can get up to 1 TB in your MacBook Pro from these guys!:

http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/

Mark

Thanx Mark, unfortunately I have already tried that and also a "hack" I got from a Mac Genius at the Apple store and that still didn't work. I can share the DVD-ROM on my PC and see it on my Mac, but that only shows me the Windows files on the DVD. But the DVD or computer doesn't show up under the Remote Disc option.

You might try having your windows computer make a disk image of the DVD using a program such as Nero or Alcohol 52%. Obviously make sure it disk images the entire thing. Copy this disk image to your mac over your home network, then mount it there and try installing. Probably your best bet solution, though, is to try to find another mac, connect via Firewire and boot up in Target Disk Mode. Then use this other computer's DVD drive to install to your mounted hard drive.

Agree that creating an ISO is your best option. You don't have to spend any money to do that though. Check out your options on this page where the "Create" column contains a "Yes":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_image_software

I've used CDBurnerXP (Free/GPL) before, but I currently use MagicISO (Shareware).

Once you have ISOs of you'll need to copy them over to your MBP and then mount one using a terminal with this command:

hdiutil mount ~/Desktop/sample.iso

From there, it should work essentially as though it were a disc.

Don't forget that you can also use target disk mode. If you have access to another Mac just connect the two with a firewire cable, then hold down the "t" key on your MacBook Pro while starting it up. Works great!

Mark

Thanx for all the suggestions guys, they are very helpful. I didn't think I could create an image of a disk on a PC, but I am going to try that option, otherwise, the OWC external drive looks like it will be a good solution to my issue. Although I am seriously considering the route of the external...I was thinking of swapping my current 120Gb drive for a 128Gb SSD and then instead of adding a superdrive, adding a second HHD, which is a 320Gb 7200RPM drive I have already. I just don't know what that would do to the battery and heat dissipation. Has anyone tried doing this on a MBP? Can you share experiences? Thanx again for all the help and suggestions.

Archived