Latin Anyone?

Mairead Sine

Hello Folks,

I'm finding that my Latin is a little rusty. I was trying to go to an original document of Calvin and I've just been out of using the language for too many years. I have dug out my old Wheelock but I was wondering if anyone knew a good "Learn Latin" software programme that I could use to stimulate "the little grey cells."

I thought I would ask here because I had made the switch from PC to Mac for a year and was struggling with PC created Mac variations of software before I found Accordance. Since all of you are obviously more in tune with the Mac accessible software for theology and classics I'm hoping someone can lead me in the right direction.

Thanks.

I don't know of a Learn Latin program, but the tagged Vulgate with Latin Dictionary would be a great way to refresh your memory.

I don't know of a Learn Latin program, but the tagged Vulgate with Latin Dictionary would be a great way to refresh your memory.

Thank you. I'll take a look.

• 1 month later...

I was in the same boat a while back. If you're forgetting the uses and flow of the syntax, yes, I'd recommend going back to a grammar and make some flash cards. I found an old copy of "New Latin Grammar" (1963). And that has served well for figuring out the cases and uses and stuff.

However, more of a challenge for me was realizing that when I started translating, the theologians of the late, late middle ages used the words differently than I was used to. (e.g. "formam et formale") There were two books which were invaluable in this case:

1) Dictionary of Latin and Greek Theological terms, Richard A Muller.

2) Dictionary of Ecclesiastical Latin, Leo F. Stelten.

Both of these would be worthy additions to the Accordance Library (hint...hint) in a digital format. But, for now they are just hardback.

Hope this helps.

I love your subtle hints.

Thank you for your suggestion. When this term is over I think I will go searching for them.

You might also want a Latin dictionary. You have the whole Lewis-Short wrapped in a Mac app which is called "Verba".

It provides a minimalist interface to search the dictionary.

It is available at the website retinenda.

Thre is also a direct link to download the app.

You might also want a Latin dictionary. You have the whole Lewis-Short wrapped in a Mac app which is called "Verba".

It provides a minimalist interface to search the dictionary.

It is available at the website retinenda.

Thre is also a direct link to download the app.

Thank you. I try to have as many of my references as possible on my computer. The dictionary will be an asset.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived