Roman numeral recognition in search bar

Tim Mitchell

There are two conventional ways of abbreviating Bible book names starting with numerals, using either Arabic (1,2,3) or Roman (I,ii,III) numerals. My own habit is to use Roman numerals, without thinking about it, which then brings up a 'cannot be found' message. This is tiresome, especially when preaching on I Kings!

The search bar only recognises Arabic numerals.

It would be very helpful if the algorithm that processes the text entered in the search bar (verses, not words) would auto-correct 'i','ii','iii','I','II','III' (where followed by a space) to '1','2','3'. That would preserve Accordance's own convention (Arabic) while removing a continual nagging hindrance to some of us. I believe this would be more 'Mac-like' behaviour, because it represents an adaptation to natural user behaviour.

cheers

• 1 year later...

This would also be helpful when copy and pasting references from older works that use Roman numerals.

We have just added the recognition, not the auto correction, of roman numerals. It's a minor part of the next, very major, free upgrade of Accordance.

Archived