Another diagramming question

ryangeer

Is there a way to prevent the separation of the syntactical units when diagramming the Hebrew text?

Not exactly sure what you mean by syntactical units. Currently Accordance does not have syntactical information on its texts (we are working on that), but you can now select words in the window and group those objects together with the Group command. They will then move as a unit.

Is there a way to prevent the separation of the syntactical units when diagramming the Hebrew text?

Hi, Ryan!

I'm guessing you are referring to the various prefixes and suffixes Hebrew tends to stick on either end of words (definite articles, conjunctions, etc.). The quick answer is "no" (sorry). Most of us just select the entire word "unit" and move it together when diagramming. You can move these things closer though [a pain] or just make them less obvious [set the text display to make the definite article the same color as a noun, for example].

Hope this helps!

Hi, Ryan!

I'm guessing you are referring to the various prefixes and suffixes Hebrew tends to stick on either end of words (definite articles, conjunctions, etc.). The quick answer is "no" (sorry). Most of us just select the entire word "unit" and move it together when diagramming. You can move these things closer though [a pain] or just make them less obvious [set the text display to make the definite article the same color as a noun, for example].

Hope this helps!

Thanks Dr. J - that does help insofar as it is at least an answer to one of my queries... The color coding I get - but I can't for the life of me figure out why the prefixes/suffixes units that make up a word need to be blown apart (since they only make sense when connected to their word)- seems like this could at least be an option in preferences. I mean, imagine trying to diagram Gen.1 for goodness sake! With all those waw-conjunctions separated from their verb, your diagram would either (a)look awful or (b)take you about 100 years to complete.

Oh well... It seems this has been brought up before over 3 years ago but with no real resolution.

Thanks again for your reply at least now I know.

...but I can't for the life of me figure out why the prefixes/suffixes units that make up a word need to be blown apart...

That I can answer. Some styles of diagramming require that conjunctions (for example) be separated on the diagram. I'll attach a diagram showing one from Gen. 1:1.Hebrew Diagram.tiff

Hope this helps!

That I can answer. Some styles of diagramming require that conjunctions (for example) be separated on the diagram. I'll attach a diagram showing one from Gen. 1:1.Hebrew Diagram.tiff

Hope this helps!

Thanks for that - I think I get it although that's a little different from the method I've been learning... It seems to highlight the need (or at least validate the desire) for an option to separate the word units or leave them together.

Archived