Searching with numbers

Jason

First off let me say I'm not sure if this is a bug or a functionality I don't understand.

I use Accordance 8.4.6 on a MBP 10.6.3.

I am new to Accordance so I've been working through the pod casts. In 3.2 Dr J talks about searching using "6" in the ESVS.

I tried using 2, which gives this as it's first hit:

Ex. 27:1

I am not sure what the podcast suggests. I think you need to look at how the different versions handle numbers, but first check your search text. I think you are searching the HCSB (look at the top left pull-down menu).

Most versions write out all their numbers. The ESV does use numerals for large numbers like 70, but it will not let me search for 2 or 6. The HCSB is the only version I looked at which converts the measurements to numerals and fractions:

Ex. 27.1 ¶ "You are to construct the altar of acacia wood. The altar must be square, 71⁄2 feet long, and 71⁄2 feet wide; it must be 41⁄2 feet high.

Now your search for 2 is finding the 2 in the half. I am not sure how Accordance is succeeding in displaying the fractions, but it does not let me search them accurately. I think it is superscripting the upper fraction which takes it out of the text for search purposes, but makes it look really pretty. It's a compromise which must have been made for this one translation.

Ok, I get it now. I was changing the version in the results window, not the search window. That explains a lot of things.

Thanks for the help.

Archived