User Tool or User Notes

Robert N

Since my favorite study Bible is not available on Accordance, I am trying to create my own. Should I create a User Tool or User Notes? I want it to synchronize with my Bibles, but it also has sections (Book Intros, Appendices, etc.) that do not relate to specific verses? Can I convert a User Tool to User Notes or vice versa?

I had an idea that might grow the resources available in Accordance. The idea is to use a model similar to that of CodeWeavers (www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/). They let users vote on what they want. They also let them pledge. I would add the idea of creating a non-profit foundation to which people can contribute. Let's say I really want the New Defenders Study Bible to be an Accordance Study Bible. I could vote on it (perhaps members could get 1 vote for each $ they spent on Accordance products or there could be different kinds of votes... 1 vote per member and 1 vote per $ spent by a member). You could also have pledges and actual donations. I think Logos lets users pre-purchase releases that they have in the works for a discount which increases as more and more members pre-purchase, thereby reducing the pre-sales development cost or I should say covering it.

I digress... I am hoping someone can help me with m original questions.

For what you're wanting to do, you'll probably need both a User Tool and a User Notes file. The User Tool would work well for book introductions, appendices, etc. for which User Notes are not conducive. For the verse-by-verse notes, which you'd want to have scroll in parallel with your Bible, you'll need to create a User Notes file. While having the information split into two separate files is not ideal, it probably is your best option.

For what you're wanting to do, you'll probably need both a User Tool and a User Notes file. The User Tool would work well for book introductions, appendices, etc. for which User Notes are not conducive. For the verse-by-verse notes, which you'd want to have scroll in parallel with your Bible, you'll need to create a User Notes file. While having the information split into two separate files is not ideal, it probably is your best option.

Thank you Sean ... I was hoping that splitting the information into both User Notes and a User Tool wouldn't be necessary. Robert

If I'm remembering correctly, I think Helen Brown mentioned some time ago that a User Reference Tool feature was possibly in the works. This would allow a user to create a module which would scroll in parallel with a biblical text yet also include information not linked to a specific text or range of texts (much like the OakTree created reference tools behave). Such a feature would accommodate your needs perfectly. Hopefully it is still in the works.

Archived