Original Language "Meta Module"

Timothy Butler

Would this feature be useful   

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've noticed a lot of times (especially when I am sitting in a NT or OT class or preparing a Sunday School lesson), my workflow ends up like this:

Open an Accordance window with a couple of English translations and the GNT on the top and a good commentary on the bottom. Then, I need to look up something in the Old Testament, so I type in the reference, note that the GNT column is now blank, switch to BHS-W4 and go along my merry way... until I look up a New Testament reference. I type it in and then note the BHS column is blank and need to go switch it back to GNT. Since the original language modules do not span testaments, while most other texts can follow along as I look up different passages, my original language column needs to be constantly switched.

An idea occurred to me: wouldn't it be great if there was an Original Language "meta module" I could select instead that would show BHS when I was in the OT and NA27/USB when I was in the NT? In the ideal world, perhaps the OT and NT modules used could be customizable in the preferences, but even if it was hardwired to BHS-W4 and GNT-T, I think it would be a really nice little timesaver.

It's a small thing, but one that I would really appreciate (not as much as an iPhone and iPad app, but I digress...)!

-Tim

Hi, Timothy!

This has been suggested before, but I gather there are some technical difficulties with implementing it. Meanwhile, let me encourage you to use a workspace with three panes, one each for English, Greek and Hebrew. I use a 15" laptop and I can do so and still have plenty of space for texts.

Another possibility is to construct a workspace with 2 tabs, one for OT and one for NT. This method has the advantage of being able to add other panes to each tab, like a critical apparatus, a commentary, or some other testament-specific resource.

I agree with Tim here ( the second one),

I have five tabs in my workspace:

1) gnt, user notes, niv, esv, gnt notes

2) greek textual apparati (apparatuses?)

3) Hebrew stuff

4) Hebrew textual variant stuff.

5) commentaries

Not quite as nifty as somehow having it all together. But not a bad workflow.

I also have all the window panes to 'vertical orientation' so as to save space and increase readability.

There's probably even some shortcuts out there somewhere to move through the panes by keystroke, I imagine.

Technically it would be alomost impossible to have one module that was half Greek, half Hebrew. We are planning later to have a complete Greek Bible. We are also planning to offer an option to load two texts into a pane, for OT and for NT, which should help to solve the empty pane issue, but this new feature has to wait while be tackle some more fundamental improvements.

...We are also planning to offer an option to load two texts into a pane, for OT and for NT, which should help to solve the empty pane issue...

Helen, do you mean that we could choose any two texts, like BHS and GNT, or any two tools, like IVP-OT Commentary and IVP-NT Commentary? This would be a great feature to have, especially if we could choose texts or commentaries to load into a single pane.

• 2 weeks later...

Technically it would be alomost impossible to have one module that was half Greek, half Hebrew. We are planning later to have a complete Greek Bible. We are also planning to offer an option to load two texts into a pane, for OT and for NT, which should help to solve the empty pane issue, but this new feature has to wait while be tackle some more fundamental improvements.

That sounds like a really perfect addition, thanks Helen. As always, I am eager to see what you have coming!

-Tim

Archived