The Accordance Blog & the Safari 5 Reader

R. Mansfield

Is there any insight into why posts on the Accordance blog don't work with the new Reader in Safari 5?

I haven't done a broad survey, but this is the first blog I've seen that doesn't work with it.

Is there any insight into why posts on the Accordance blog don't work with the new Reader in Safari 5?

I haven't done a broad survey, but this is the first blog I've seen that doesn't work with it.

I'll look into it

Individual post pages work. I'm guessing the <p> tags are buried a little too deep on the blog landing page.

After poking around a bit, and chatting with J. P., it seems like it is a Reader issue. I checked another blog and the Reader icon appears in the address bar for most posts, but not all. It does not appear until you click on an individual post. I would suggest that we give it some time to see if it improves. As of now I don't think it is necessary to report anything to our web gurus given that this same behavior occurs on other blogs.

I'm having no issues seeing the blog... using Safari 5.

To follow up, it also appears (from tests on other sites) that Reader doesn't kick in for "short" articles, where it seems to me that the threshhold is three or four paragraphs, or possibly a certain number of characters within <p> tags.

To follow up, it also appears (from tests on other sites) that Reader doesn't kick in for "short" articles, where it seems to me that the threshhold is three or four paragraphs, or possibly a certain number of characters within <p> tags.

According to this: http://nikf.org/post/681542046/on-this-safari-5-reader-hysteria, it looks like the text has to have at least 2,000 characters before the 'Reader' button appears in the location bar.

That is one thing that I have noticed about Safari Reader, is it is a function that sometimes appears and sometimes doesn't. Reader is based on the Readability bookmarklet. It can be added to any browser and if you add it to Safari can be used when the Reader button doesn't appear.

Archived