The Rabbis

Teresa

I have recently purchased Accordance and am really enjoying everything I can now do in a much more efficient way. I know that I will now be able to accomplish much more than ever before in preparing to teach.

Just a thought, please consider adding modules for the teaching of the Rabbis (i.e. Rebbe Schneerson, et al.); The Five Books Of Moses - A Translation With Commentary by Robert Alter; and The Torah - A Modern Commentary edited by W. Gunther Plaut. My colleagues and I are a part of an international teaching ministry that proclaims the Hebraic roots of Christianity as well as reaches out to the Jewish communities with the message of restoration and the Messiah. These sources and others like them would be invaluable to us and others like us.

Shalom,

Teresa

• 2 weeks later...
. . . These sources and others like them would be invaluable to us and others like us.

Shalom,

Teresa

Amen Teresa,

There are many of us in the Classical Reformed Evangelical faith who believe that the "Hebraic roots of Christianity" are integral to understanding the New Testament. While I'm not immediately familiar with the sources you mention, I vote for any such refererence that help us all to better understand the true roots of Christianity - which contrary to much propaganda in contemporary American Fundamentalism ARE NOT the Early Church Fathers

;)

• 4 weeks later...
Just a thought, please consider adding modules for the teaching of the Rabbis (i.e. Rebbe Schneerson, et al.); The Five Books Of Moses - A Translation With Commentary by Robert Alter; and The Torah - A Modern Commentary edited by W. Gunther Plaut. My colleagues and I are a part of an international teaching ministry that proclaims the Hebraic roots of Christianity as well as reaches out to the Jewish communities with the message of restoration and the Messiah. These sources and others like them would be invaluable to us and others like us.

Teresa -

1. The rabbis you mentioned are not classical rabbinic sources, nor do they have much to do with the "Hebrew roots of Christianity." Rebbe Schneerson is a 20th Century religious thinker and leader from the Orthodox tradition. Alter, though Jewish, provides a literary look at the Bible, not a Jewish (and certainly not early Hebraic) look. Plaut's commentary is published by URJ Press, and reflects the perspective of modern Reform Judaism. None of these texts will give you much insight on the Hebraic roots of Christianity. If you want such insight, study Mishnah, Tannaitic midrash, or Talmud, all of which were authored by Jewish thinkers around the time of Jesus and/or early Christian thinkers. The Mishnah modules offered for Accordance are excellent. Also, see any of Neusner's works for some good background.

2. As a member of the Jewish community, we're not particularly interested in being reached out to "with the message of restoration and the Messiah." Thanks, but no thanks.

- Josh

1. I agree with Josh and hope that we will have the Talmud and midrashic texts in Accordance soon.

2. Suggested reading: There is no Messiah, and you

Archived