Dictionary and commentary zones attempt

Chuck Schneider

Inspired by Dr. J's podcast, I tried unsuccessfully to set up a couple of zones. One has three of my favorite dictionaries (two of which would be linked to my main dictionary) and another has a several of my favorite commentaries. 3-shift-click seems to be a little unpredictable with the launch of my favorite dictionary and I'm unsure about how to maintain an association between my text in one zone and my commentaries in another.

Once I have a zone with my three dictionaries (two of which are linked to the main dictionary), I 3-shift-click a word and a new main dictionary (Anchor 2, then Anchor 3, etc.) appears as a tab in the original workspace. I've tried all kinds of permutations and can't seem to make this dictionary zone work the way I had hoped/expected.

I also figured zones would be a better way to group my commentaries but I haven't managed to get them to care about my present chapter/verse location in the text zone.

I have this haunting feeling that this is all my own technical failing, again, but just to be sure, I'm posting this here for help. ;)

For the dictionary issue you have to set the main dictionary in your zone to "recycled" (click on the feint two arrows together in the top right hand corner of the tab - they should turn green). This will then reuse that tab when you triple click rather than create another tab.

To link a commentary to a text then right click the commentary tab and you select "Set Tab" then select "Tie to xxx" where xxx is the text you are using to 'drive' the commentaries. You can also do this from the Window menu under "set".

Hope this helps

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your helpfulness.

The 3-shift-click dictionary is really unpredictable both in tabs and zones. Whether I load the main dictionary (Anchor) from the library or 3-shift-click to bring it up, I almost always see it with the green recycle arrows lit up. Then, one or two 3-shift-clicks later, an Anchor 2 appears and then, with one or more 3-shift-clicks, Anchor 3 appears and so on.

I believe this has always been so since I learned of the feature, but it didn't really bother me because I would just close the tab when I was done. Now, though, I keep hoping to have a zone with a few of my favorite dictionaries all linked to the main one but that fails because copies of the main one appear (sometimes in my text zone and sometimes in my dictionary zone).

I'll follow your instructions for the commentary part during the next day or so and let you know how it goes.

In any case, thank you for your offer of help.

A window will be recycled only if all the search conditions are the same. Otherwise, a new copy of that resource will be opened.

For example, you may triple-click a word that appears in the Entry field of Anchor and an Anchor window will appear showing the article on that word. Let's say the next two words you triple-click also appear in the Entry field of Anchor. In that case, the Anchor window or tab will be recycled.

Now, let's say the fourth word you triple-click is not found in Anchor's entry field, but it is found in the English content field. In that case, the Anchor window with Entry selected will not be recycled. Instead, a new Anchor window will be opened with English Content selected.

I hope that helps explain why multiple copies of Anchor are being opened.

I hope that helps explain why multiple copies of Anchor are being opened.

Thanks David, that helps me to see the logic behind what's happening. I worried that it was just something random but I wasn't paying attention to the difference in the words that I was 3-shift-clicking.

Any chance of a future, "recycle regardless" button? ;)

Archived