using a specific Hebrew font

Brad Pribbenow

I'm using Accordance 8.4.7 on a Mac. I'm trying to get my cut-and-paste Hebrew to export in the Teknia Hebrew font (this is the font my seminary professors utilize; and they can't read any of the Hebrew that I include in my electronic copies of papers, etc.). I have that font installed on my Mac, but it is not an option in Accordance Preferences-->Greek and Hebrew. I currently have SPTiberian as my chosen Hebrew export font. When I select the (pasted) Hebrew in Microsoft Word and change the font, the Hebrew word is changed.

Is there a way I can add Teknia Hebrew to my export options in Accordance?

Brad

~`~`~`~`~`~`~`

Accordance 8.4.7

Macbook, OS X 10.5.8

Not knowing how far Teknia deviates from the other supplied export encoding options (have you tried them all?), as an alternative solution, would your professors accept your papers as PDF files? If so, you could use another font (or, my preference, Unicode encoding with SBL Hebrew, Ezra SIL Unicode, or the commercial Linguist's Software NewJerusalemU) and print to PDF.

If using Unicode, check out the Mellel word processor.

It sounds like Teknia Hebrew is what is referred to as a "legacy" font. That is, it is not Unicode. Before the development of Unicode, many different companies and organizations created fonts for non-Latin alphabets, and each one mapped the non-Latin characters to Latin characters in a slightly (or sometimes not so slightly) different way. That's why changing the font from one legacy font to another results in a changed work.

While I don't work for Oak Tree, I'm sure it is simply too huge a task for Accordance developers to create export options for all the various legacy fonts.

I am surprised that your seminary professors don't have access to Unicode fonts. This would resolve the problem you are having, and they are pretty much the standard for work in non-Latin alphabets these days. Perhaps you could inquire about this?

Two other work-arounds would be to 1) convince your professors to install one of the legacy fonts Accordance does support or 2) submit your papers as PDFs rather than .doc or .docx files.

Lorinda

And JP beat me to it :D

I'm using Accordance 8.4.7 on a Mac. I'm trying to get my cut-and-paste Hebrew to export in the Teknia Hebrew font (this is the font my seminary professors utilize; and they can't read any of the Hebrew that I include in my electronic copies of papers, etc.). I have that font installed on my Mac, but it is not an option in Accordance Preferences-->Greek and Hebrew. I currently have SPTiberian as my chosen Hebrew export font. When I select the (pasted) Hebrew in Microsoft Word and change the font, the Hebrew word is changed.

Is there a way I can add Teknia Hebrew to my export options in Accordance?

The Teknia fonts were developed by William Mounce in the nineties and were/are the fonts used in his supplementary Word handouts/quizzes and PowerPoint slides files for Basics of Biblical Greek. These fonts are also used in Mounce's Flashworks software.

At the time Mounce created the Teknia fonts, he was trying to promote a "common mapping initiative" for Greek and Hebrew fonts so that different biblical language fonts from different software platforms could be easily exchangeable. I don't think that ever caught on, but the advent of Unicode fonts has made the initiative unnecessary anyway.

I notice that Accordance has an export to TekniaGreek, but not TekniaHebrew. But that isn't too surprising since most of Mounce's work in biblical languages is in the area of Greek and not Hebrew. I can't imagine that TekniaHebrew has ever been used widely. And there certainly wouldn't be enough demand to justify Oak Tree spending time to add the export capability into Accordance.

That's why I would think it's a bit odd, Brad, that your professors would want you to use TekniaHebrew. While you could certainly download the font from Mounce's site, you'd have to construct the Hebrew text on your own. What are your classmates doing for this? Does any Bible software export TekniaHebrew? A quick look at Logos/Mac shows that it does not. I'd have to reboot into Bootcamp/Windows to see if the Windows version supported it, but I bet it doesn't since they are completely unicode. Does BibleWorks on Windows export to TekniaHebrew? I only have a very old version of BibleWorks and it is not installed in Windows anyway, so I don't know.

Regardless, Brad, unless you're willing to compose the Hebrew text yourself in Word (and then you'll have still have to type it in backwards since Word/Mac does not support right-to-left type), I don't know any other way to use TekniaHebrew on a Mac. Again, I'd be very interested to know how your classmates are achieving this.

If your profs will take a PDF, you can use Accordance's Yehudit font in your export and this can be pasted into Word as long as you have preferences set to reverse characters. If you're wanting to use unicode export, you'll need to use Mellel or (lesser choice) Word for Windows running in Parallels or VMWare.

One more thought, Brad...

I think we've all assumed that your request is because your profs want you to hand in an electronic document instead of a printed page. However, if it's the case that you're going to be printing your submission to hand in, and if you do want to use Word/Mac, I'd go with the Accordance Yehudit font. it's actually going to look very similar to TekniaHebrew and your profs probably won't question it.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for my delay in responding to this. I still haven't figured out this issue. And I have asked my fellow students about it. It seems that many are "creating" their own hebrew words using a seminary-specific font created by one of our professors. One curious thing was that even though my Hebrew professor had SBTiberian on his Mac (he's an Accordance user as well)--and even though I set Accordance up to output Hebrew in SBTiberian font--he couldn't view it. I had to send him a .pdf.

I'll keep working on this and get something figured out ASAP. Thanks, everyone, for this good information and the assistance!

Brad

Archived