Basic Bible Study: recommended books and resources

Timothy Jenney

I've been reflecting today on the similarities and differences between MS Word and Accordance. No, I don't mean that one is put out by that-software-giant-that we-all-love-to-hate and the other put out by the-lovable-folks-at-OakTree-including-yours-truly.

I mean that both are very, very powerful programs that offer complete solutions for their areas; both offer virtually all the tools their users need, from novice to professional; and neither program teaches the basic techniques for the task at hand.

MS Word does not explain how to write. Accordance does not explain how to study the Bible.

MS Word relies on a vast network of public and private teachers to train their students to write correctly. Accordance hopes that users have been exposed to pastors and professors who have taught them at least the basics of Bible study.

I am sure we have gone further than Word in training our users. Our podcasts, blogs and forums often explain how to study the Bible, a bit or a piece at a time. Still, we hope that users will reach outside our offerings to acquire basic Bible study training, whether in a church, a college or a seminary.

There are a number of good books on Bible study. I recommend How to Read the Bible for All its Worth by Gordon Fee and Douglas Stuart as a good place to start. Their seminary level books, Old Testament Exegesis (by Stuart) and New Testament Exegesis (by Fee) are some of the best I've seen.

How about you? What books or resources would you recommend to people on this forum who want to learn more about studying the Bible? [Please indicate what level of training they offer.]

Living by the Book by Hendricks

Use this one for more "serious" students of study who have ability to do college level work easily.

Grasping God's Word by Duvall and Hays

Very accessible, extensive explanation of principles.

Both work really well for a many week sunday school class.

Grasping God's Word by Duvall and Hays

Living by the Book by Hendricks

These are 2 excellent resources, both of which I am currently using in my classes for Hermeneutics here in South America. I was going to mention them too, but it seems I was a little slow (I am currently working on a class!)

2 thumbs up!

Stephen

Great thread, Tim! I am reading through the How to Read the Bible by Fee and Stuart and am keen to see what others recommend as far as books on hermeneutics, especially for collegiate study. Any "classic" texts on the subject still hold any weight?

Apart from biblical and extra biblical languages, hermeneutics and philosophy of language are disciplines dear to my heart. I have many resources in mind, but will do the best I can to be succinct and avoid being verbose.

All translation is interpretation! For those interested in learning a biblical language:

First find a seminary students in your congregation and offer him or her some compensation to teach a one year language course, be it Greek or Hebrew. I have done this in past. More people are interested than you think, especially if the pastor uses the phrase of doom (i.e., the Greek says, "_____________").

If you don't have any seminarians in attendance:

You might try starting off with Mounce's Greek for the Rest of Us*. Once you are done with this one, you might want to move on to a first year grammar, like David Alan Black's, Learning to Read New Testament Greek**. Did I mention that I offer Greek tutoring lessons via Skype?

For Hebrew:

You might want to try starting off with Fields, Hebrew for the Rest of Us*. Then you will want to move onto to Weingreen's, Classical Hebrew Grammar**, or you could download Dr. Robert Holmstedt's and John Cook's, Biblical Hebrew, A Student Grammar**. Did I mention that I give Hebrew tutoring lessons via Skype?

For a good linguistically informed text on semantics and translation, you could check out Beekman and Callow's, Translating the Word of God.

On the hermeneutics side of things (I have an entire book case full of hermeneutics texts, so I will keep it limited):

The above mentioned texts are good at various parts. You could also look into reading for general Hermeneutics:

Adler, How to Read a Book*, or more biblically related, Introduction to BIblical Interpretation**. You might even want to try, Read the BIble for a Change*.

While the above texts are good, you will certainly want to progress in your understanding by reading some of these books:

Vanhoozer, Is There Meaning in This Text?**

Thiselton, Hermeneutics, An Introduction*.

________., New Horizons in Hermeneutics**.

________., Two Horizons**.

Some classics and well worth reading are:

Schleiermacher, Hermeneutics and Criticism**.

Gadamer, Truth and Method***.

________., Philosophical Hermeneutics***.

There are many more I could adduce that would provide excellent sources to engage, so as to learn. For example, Elliot Johnson's Expository Hermeneutics*, or Hirsch's Validity in Interpretation**, or on the other end of the spectrum, Westphal's Whose Community? Which Interpretation?**.

I will leave linguistics for another time, but for now, an informative read is Harris' Linguistic Wars**, which will certainly aid in understanding the discussions on the syntax databases.

Stars indicate level of difficulty (relatively speaking):

* Easy

** Moderate

*** Challenging

***Disclaimer: the above links are all to Amazon. I did this so that you could visually look at the table of contents, if offered, and get a better feel for the book. I am a big proponent of supporting my local bookstore, but I do purchase from Amazon as well.***

This post makes for a great book list that hits multiple levels.

And every one of the titles that's not in Accordance? Well, it would be nice if they were http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Great list everyone.

I have and have read, twice, the Stuart and Fee book. Excellent read.

I have a question about the grammar/linguistic side of Bible Study. What are the recommendations for learning more about language in general? I.e. Grammar, syntax, dialects and all the other things I know very little about. I know basic grammar?and I mean basic. I'm currently working through the Grammar by Diagram book because I really want to understand language usage and syntax.

So what would you all recommend for someone who wants to under languages better?

Archived