User tool import extensions

Tim Campbell

Hi all.

I publish a lot of my sermons and essays via WordPress, and have developed some very basic scripts for importing posts into Accordance as user tools.

As a result of this exercise, however, I have a couple of suggestions for how user tool imports could be more flexible:

1) Support the html <blockquote> tag (i.e. an indented block quote).

2) Map html anchor tag (<a>) for links internal to the page as well as external. I frequently use footnotes and endnotes in my work, and would like to be able to hyperlink a note indicator (superscript 1) to an endnote, and, ideally, have the note appear in 'instant details'.

3) Support 'pretty printing' (my phrase) of hyperlinks. At the moment, a hyperlink like "<a href="http://some.site.com">this</a>" gets imported into Accordance as "http://some.site.comthis", whereas it would IMHO be cleaner to mimic the HTML behaviour if possible.

4) [Pushing my luck here, but here goes...] Some kind of syntax for 'tagging' text as belonging to particular fields. e.g. if I wanted to include a French or Latin phrase in an essay, I might use some syntax like <span class="Latin">veni, vidi, vici</span>. This would then appear as one of the fields in the search dialog, allowing me to search all Latin etc.

2) Map html anchor tag (<a>) for links internal to the page as well as external. I frequently use footnotes and endnotes in my work, and would like to be able to hyperlink a note indicator (superscript 1) to an endnote, and, ideally, have the note appear in 'instant details'.

I can't speak for the other requests, but Accordance already makes some decent looking footnotes. But, yes, I agree, it would be nice to have them hyperlinked instead of having to search for the links, you could just click on the link.

Accordance already makes some decent looking footnotes.

In user tools? I shall have to dig deeper. Are they available via HTML import?

Are they available via HTML import?

Yeah. I write my sermons and papers in XeTeX. Then I convert them to .html in BBEdit. Then I import them into Accordance. The <blockquote></blockquote> tags aren't imported. And there's no support for tables (though I think I can concede that providing a link to pdfs and stuff would be a suitable alternative). But, the footnote tags ARE imported. I'll attach both and example of an html file and a resulting user tool.

Kethiv-Qere.zip

Yeah. I write my sermons and papers in XeTeX. Then I convert them to .html in BBEdit. Then I import them into Accordance. The <blockquote></blockquote> tags aren't imported. And there's no support for tables (though I think I can concede that providing a link to pdfs and stuff would be a suitable alternative). But, the footnote tags ARE imported. I'll attach both and example of an html file and a resulting user tool.

Kethiv-Qere.zip

Thanks Steve.

When I try to import your HTML, the footnotes come through as ordinary text, but the link between the note place holder and the note itself is lost - is this expected? (I'm afraid I couldn't get the supplied user tool to work - I am guessing it is a 8.x -> 9.x issue.)

Archived