Wait for iPad version or get new Macbook Air

ddoyle777

After watching Apple's announcement yesterday I'm wondering whether the iPad version will be powerful enough or if I should get the new MacBook Air and run Accordance natively?

Any thoughts from you who have more knowledge of what the iPad version is going to be like - is it more than a resource viewer and book reader?

Thanks,

Dave

I think you'll find that the Accordance app for iOS is going to be surprisingly capable, keeping most of the major search commands that you see including specialized ones like Fuzzy search.

I don't speak for the developers, but I can offer a fairly reasonable assurance that obviously, the iOS version is not going to be AS fully featured as the Mac version. But I know the developers have very ambitious plans for it, thinking even beyond what makes the version 1 cut. But obviously, it will never be (at least for the foreseeable future) as capable as the Mac version. But who knows where things will stand in a few years?

I'm glad to have access to both a Mac and an iPad. I do more and more on the iPad, and I'm thrilled to already have Accordance on it, even in the beta version. I look forward to moving my ENTIRE Accordance library to my iPad as soon as possible.

As for the new MacBook Air, I might be all over the 11" one if the iPad didn't exist. I like small computers as long as the keyboards are usable, which this one obviously is. But unfortunately, the largest flash drive space available is 128 GB and that wouldn't even hold my iTunes library :-)

I think you'll find that the Accordance app for iOS is going to be surprisingly capable, keeping most of the major search commands that you see including specialized ones like Fuzzy search.

I don't speak for the developers, but I can offer a fairly reasonable assurance that obviously, the iOS version is not going to be AS fully featured as the Mac version. But I know the developers have very ambitious plans for it, thinking even beyond what makes the version 1 cut. But obviously, it will never be (at least for the foreseeable future) as capable as the Mac version. But who knows where things will stand in a few years?

I'm glad to have access to both a Mac and an iPad. I do more and more on the iPad, and I'm thrilled to already have Accordance on it, even in the beta version. I look forward to moving my ENTIRE Accordance library to my iPad as soon as possible.

As for the new MacBook Air, I might be all over the 11" one if the iPad didn't exist. I like small computers as long as the keyboards are usable, which this one obviously is. But unfortunately, the largest flash drive space available is 128 GB and that wouldn't even hold my iTunes library :-)

I too had a similar question. I'm thinking of purchasing an iPad once I try out Accordance on my ipod touch. IPad seems to be perfect for traveling, in between meetings, hospital visits, etc. - I can prepare lectures and sermons without having to lug my MBP (The MBA is too much for what I need since I already have a portable mac). As long as I can access my Accordance library on the iPad, I'll be happy. Do you know when the app for the iPad will be officially released? How do we get a copy of the beta version? Thanks.

After watching Apple's announcement yesterday I'm wondering whether the iPad version will be powerful enough or if I should get the new MacBook Air and run Accordance natively?

Any thoughts from you who have more knowledge of what the iPad version is going to be like - is it more than a resource viewer and book reader?

Thanks,

Dave

I wish we'd seen more innovation on the MacBook Air. How about a combo OS, like OSX and iOS on a single device? Or, perhaps more do-able now, a MacBook Air that uses an iPad as a keyboard when needed and is just a detachable iPAd when the OSX is not needed? Just think of the possibilities for making presentations using two screens on that combo! :D

I wish we'd seen more innovation on the MacBook Air. How about a combo OS, like OSX and iOS on a single device? Or, perhaps more do-able now, a MacBook Air that uses an iPad as a keyboard when needed and is just a detachable iPAd when the OSX is not needed? Just think of the possibilities for making presentations using two screens on that combo! :D

Well, the new MacBook Air is definitely drawing from the iPad in terms of flash memory, instant on, long battery life, etc. And the preview of OS X Lion clearly shows that iOS is now influencing OS X than the other way around. These two OS's may draw closer together overtime, and one day, there might not be a need for separate devices. Imagine having your iPad capable of everything your computer can do. And for those times when you need a full keyboard and a larger screen, just plugging them in or connecting them wirelessly.

Tim, one way you can use an iPad and Mac together for a presentation is to use the Keynote Remote iPhone app on your iPad. I've done this a number of times. Run the Keynote presentation from your Mac, but control it with the iPad. You have access to all your presenter notes, and you have the freedom to walk about the room. It's a good combination even though I wish Apple would see the benefit and make the app iPad native. This would mean less scrolling through one's notes.

• 4 weeks later...

I really think it comes down to how you want to use the device and whether you need a laptop over a tablet, or vice versa. You're the best judge of that.

Archived