simple construct search question

Ken Han

Hi, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

When I do a simple construct search in ESV, and the criteria are to search lord, god and lov* within 1-4 words searching in both directions, I get 147 hits. Some of these verses will include the word "steadfast" - e.g. 2 Chr. 7:6, Ps 25:6.

But when I explicitly add INTER looking for "steadfast" on top of this same search, it returns 20 hits, but none of the hits returned actually contains the word "steadfast." This does not seem to be the expected result. What am I doing wrong here? I've pasted the screen capture of my search.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ken

I'm not sure why the INTER isn't working; someone else can answer that.

But, try just putting 'steadfast' in a column in between lord and lov*. I get 19 hits in the ESVS and they seem to all be correct. Here's a screenshot:

Note: I just noticed the screenshot says 'Love' not 'lov*', but the results are the same.

I don't think Ken did anything wrong. In fact the way he built the search seems to be the most intuitive one to me. However, that is not the way INTER works in Accordance. A positive INTER, according to the Help file, finds cases where the words in the columns connected below are adjacent or separated only by the specified word(s) (in this particular case, "steadfast"). Since there are no verses where either "lord" or "god" and "lov*" are separated by the word "steadfast", the result is exactly the same as searching for "lord, god" WITHIN 1 Word of "lov*" (1 meaning the terms must be adjacent).

This brings us to the whole point of why I think Ken built the search this way (please correct me if I am wrong). He, like me, wanted to avoid having to build 2 different construct windows and then running an OR search (i.e., [LINK Simple Construct] <OR> [LINK Simple Construct 2] - See attached screenshots). In this particular case, BTW, there seems to be a problem with the highlighting, since "steadfast" is not highlighted (thus adding to the confusion).

In my opinion, INTER should be used for those words that may or may not appear ANYWHERE within the specified proximity range between the words displayed in the columns connected by it. In the current implementation of the Construct window this does not seem to be possible. I miss very badly the ability to set a proximity item (i.e., WITHIN) between the INTER and the columns, as well as an agreement item (i.e., AGREE) between the INTER and the columns for morphological searches. This would (hopefully) simplify things, make them more intuitive and add more flexibility and power to the Construct window.

post-9-018412500 1290768970_thumb.png

post-9-065650800 1290768982_thumb.png

Archived