Trouble with Installation on a New Computer

Tom Castle

Hey there,

I installed my copy of Acc 9 onto a new Mac tonight. I downloaded the Acc 9.1 installer and ran it with the Library Premier serial number. Everything installed fine and then all my purchases downloaded just fine.

EXCEPT... Zondervan Personal Growth Suite and Thompson Chain. I had to install these from my CD's. They installed fine.

These modules did not show up in the Library Window or Resource Palette however. The CD installers placed them into their own directory away from everything else. I copied the modules from wrong folder into the folder where all the rest of my modules were installed. (user/library/application support/accordance/modules/tools)

Is there a way to force Accordance to rescan and bring these added modules into the Library Window and Resource Palette?

Thanks in advance..

Does "Add new modules" under the + button in the lower left corner of the Library window work to add them manually?

p.s. pre-9 installers do not know about the new folder location, so that is why those modules get installed where they do, and why they generally should be avoided (except in cases as you discovered where they don't appear in your account or download correctly).

Does "Add new modules" under the + button in the lower left corner of the Library window work to add them manually?

p.s. pre-9 installers do not know about the new folder location, so that is why those modules get installed where they do, and why they generally should be avoided (except in cases as you discovered where they don't appear in your account or download correctly).

Indeed :)

Thank you!

You can run older installers to install modules (if from the website you need to first install version 8), but then DO NOT RUN the older version of Accordance, move the Accordance folder to Applications, run 9 and let it harvest the new modules and dispose of the folder.

I've never look forward to a fresh install with Accordance. The install process seems awkward, especially with retrieving all your modules, having to enter unlock codes and looking for the modules to install, etc. Would be nice if there was a more "user friendly" way of getting all this done. Having to follow certain instructions as Helen just shared can be frustrating for the one who just "wants it to work" without a lot of playing around.

Accordance 9's Easy Install makes this much easier - just log in and you can download everything. No codes, no CDs, just click and go.

Accordance 9's Easy Install makes this much easier - just log in and you can download everything. No codes, no CDs, just click and go.

Yes... but not everything is available for download... In my case, it was Zondervan Personal Growth Suite and Thompson Chain.. And I added Word Biblical Commentary today... via CD cause it too isn't available via download.

If Accordance is installed on your older Mac it's far easier to copy it over with these instrcutions:

*Copying Accordance 9 to new Mac

If you have everything running on the old Mac, and can either link them both by ethernet or firewire, or have an external drive you can hook up to either one, it is easiest to copy over the old Accordance and then update it.

Copy these folders to the same locations on the new Mac.

/Library/Application Support/Accordance

OR

user/Library/Application Support/Accordance

AND

user/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences

user/Documents/Accordance Files

The last two contain your settings and saved file, it is good to backup these two folders from time to time

Then download and run the latest installer for Accordance.

• 3 years later...

I recently upgraded to a rMBP and have successfully imported Accordance v10 (just updated to 10.3.4). The only modules I haven't been able to install have been the Zondervan Personal and Scholarly Bible Study Suites. Obviously, the installer files on the CD don't work (PowerPC!!), but the link to the installer on Accordancebible.org store's product page is broken, and the instructions that Helen gave above that relate to Accordance v9 don't seem to apply to v10 because the "library/application support/accordance" folder no longer exists!

Help! I'd like to get these valuable modules installed.

(and I'm really hoping for a retina-support upgrade soon!!)

Thanks.

-Scott

Hey Scott, I believe Retina support is on beta so it should be coming to an Accordance app near you soon! :)

• Like 1

David, Accordance 10 will simply import the modules if you use Accordance to navigate to them and open them.

Hi Scott,

if you don't have that folder then accordance won't run. It creates the folder and starts to populate it on its own.

However, the user library is hidden in Lion and higher by default (though in Mavericks you can set a preference to show the user library). The two ways to find it are:

click on the Finder

press option as you click on the "Go" menu, and you will see the item "Library" underneath "Home"

If you select this it will open your user library, then open "Application support" folder and you should see the "Accordance" folder towards the top of the alphabetically sorted file list.

or

click on the Finder

Press CMD-SHIFT-G

Enter the following into the "go to" dialog that appears.

~/Library/Application Support/Accordance

press return and voila!

In both cases, your module should all be in the modules folder (in the tools and texts subfolders)

Helen,

I copied the tool files from the Zondervan DVDs to a folder on my hard drive. Then I used the "Add New Modules..." button on the bottom left of the Library pallet. When I navigated to the folder that had the tool files, many of them were greyed out an not available to import. (screenshot linked here) (there's a text file in there too, TNIV, but I didn't try to copy that into the tool folder)

Ken,

I was able to find the ~/library/.../accordance folder using your tip. I placed the new tool files into the Accordance tools folder and restarted Accordance, but it's not recognizing the new files in the library. Not sure how to get it to see the files that are then when they weren't properly installed through Accordance.

I'm stuck again. Thanks for the help.

-Scott

Edited by Scott Stringer

Can you try the Open command? Are these CDs registered to you in our records? If they are, the contents should be available via Easy Install.

The Open command seemed to do the trick. That allowed me to import them from the CD. The CD's are registered to me, but they didn't show up during the Easy Install. It looks like the Scholarly Suite isn't even available through the Accordance story any more.

Thanks for the help.

Glad you got it sorted Scott!