version 9 install

markrich2200

I successfully downloaded the 9.1.1 updater app several days ago but have struggled to get the app to actually upgrade Accordance 8.4.7 to 9. The updater displays "Items to be installed: 931 Searching: Macintosh HD" with the blue & white barber pole spinning nonstop; the app has been running for over 2 hours. Based on input from Tech Support I repaired permissions on my main HD from the OSX install disc until no issues remained. I am now running the updater from a 2nd HD and it is still trying to update.

My system: Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM, 500 GB HD with 224 GB free, cable internet. I have disabled all background apps to maximize the processor. I am very perplexed as to what is preventing the app from upgrading.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Mark Richardson

Have you tried verifying the disk itself? You don't have to boot up off of your OS X to verify, though you will need it to repair. Open Disk Utility, select your drive on the left, and select Verify Disk. This is similar to the Repair Disk Permissions, but a different button. If there are things to repair, I highly recommend it.

Joel, I decided yesterday to go "nuclear" on permissions after I ran Disk Utility on my main HD multiple times. I notice the same listings for Was/Now didn't change when running DU under normal boot. I then booted off the Install Disk and ran DU until there were no items listed to fix. Rebooted and tried to install Accordance 9.1.1 Installer.app without success.

So now I am wondering with the 9.1.1 updater take my 8.4.7 or am I supposed to update to an interim step? 8.5, 9.0? I have ran the updater from the desktop, launched it from within Downloads. I even moved it to a 2nd HD and launched it from there with no change. The updater stalls at : items to be installed: 931 files Searching: Macintosh HD and it runs forever.

As stated I have disabled all other apps. I opened Activity Monitor and watched the Installer sit on 93-95% of the CPU but no massive data downloads occurred. I have also deleted previous downloads of the Installer and tried a "fresh" copy with no results.

Any thoughts appreciated.

God Bless,

Mark Richardson

I went ahead and took a screen shot of the stalled installer for clarity.

I am wondering if I should just download the full v9 and install it? For a few bucks more it might be an easier solution. Would the Sales team either credit or refund my initial upgrade charges??

Thanks again for any assistance.

MR

post-30700-055409600 1292696112_thumb.jpeg

First of all, don't worry about needing to get 'full' 9. Its the same installer and content, just at a reduced price, so don't spend anymore! (well, except for on modules, if you want)

You said you went nuclear on disk utility. Was this running both Verify/Repair Disk and Verify/Repair Disk Permissions? In all cases where the installer hangs it has so far been due to an anomaly on the disk that needed correction.

It might also be a good idea to redownload the installer, just in case the download was somehow corrupted.

Joel,

I verified/repaired permissions on my main HD and a 2nd HD. I then moved Acc 8.4.7 to the second drive and it ran fine. I deleted the first installation off the main HD. I went back to the new installation on drive 2, opened Acc, ran update, downloaded the update files. Per instructions I then ran the 9.1.1 that downloaded to my Desktop. Again the install hangs up. Deleted that 9.1.1 updater from Safari browser. Downloaded it directly off Acc website via Firefox. Reran updater and it hangs.

So its not either of my HD's, my copy of Accordance 8.4.7 runs fine. So is there a non-update installer for v9 that I can download and try to install? As I said before, I have shut off every background app to avoid interference. Now I am just very perplexed...

Thanks as we go

Mark

I've said many times to run both Verify Disk *and* Verify Permissions. In each post you only talk about repairing permissions, so I don't know if you've actually verified the disk at all. There may be issues on the disk, but until you check it, we won't know.

The v9 installers are identical update or not. There is no different standalone version.

If, after you've confirmed running Verify Disk with no problems, the installer still doesn't work, I or someone else in Tech Support should probably work with you directly via screen sharing.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Kudo's to Joel for spending several hours working on not only my Accordance installation but also for providing some Apple advice on improving my system performance. After importing and exporting from multiple hard drives and installing several dozen small apps I never used my Mac Mini was full of sludge. I followed Joel's expert advice and my system is running very well again. Joel has a keen curiosity about technical issues- he views them as challenges not irritations. More importantly, Joel views technology as a means for us to better connect to the Lord. While I have fallen prey over the years to the cool factor of technology, in our conversation Joel always brought it home to the fact that hardware and software such as Accordance is a means to really study God's Word and to become more Christlike. I wish more Christian companies would take a step back and ask "what are we doing and WHO are we doing it for?"

Thanks again for knowledge and patience displayed by Joel and also Keith at Tech Support.

Merry Christmas and wishing you all a blessed New Year.

Mark

Archived