Simple Constructs

dinomof

I'm a new accordance user and I'm struggling to figure the logic of the simple constructs. two questions, are there any examples out there that are useful references to see how to arrange constructs? here is one that i was trying to do - I want to find all the uses of the phrase "sacrifice of" but not associated with "offerings". any ideas? thanks.

Well, you don't need a construct for that search. Just search for:

sacrifice of <NOT> offerings

However, the best way to get comfortable with the Construct window would be our podcasts. Dr. J does an excellent job describing how they work and giving some great examples.

Introduction to Construct Searches (English)

Greek Constructs

Hebrew Constructs

This search is better handled in the search window itself: sacrifice of offerings

finds all verses with the phrase but not the last word.

The construct is best for relationships between words and complex definitions of words. In general it's much more needed for the tagged texts, so I would focus on using the search commands and symbols in the search window.

There are podcasts covering searches and constructs, highly recommended.

I would also like to suggest David Lang's training videos on Simple Constructs and Advanced Search Commands. Even though these searches are done on a previous version of Accordance, I believe the logic remains the same.

Also, there are some great tips on the Accordance Blog. If you set it up as a RSS feed in your Mail App, you can search for 'Construct' and several very helpful blog posts will show up. Be sure and select the search for "Entire Message" option.

This search is better handled in the search window itself: sacrifice of <NOT> offerings

finds all verses with the phrase but not the last word.

The construct is best for relationships between words and complex definitions of words. In general it's much more needed for the tagged texts, so I would focus on using the search commands and symbols in the search window.

There are podcasts covering searches and constructs, highly recommended.

Thanks, but I need to expand the question. Using the suggested search still turns up verses like Lev 3.6 "...sacrifice of peace offering...". That is the type of phrase I am trying to eliminate. Any further ideas?

The reason that turned up is because the search was for NOT 'offerings', rather than any form of the word. Just change it to offering*.

Archived