multiple English renderings of same word

JonathanHuber

Hi, I'm a new Accordance user (premier scholar package with ESVS add-on). I have a general question about finding multiple ways that a single greek or hebrew word has been rendered in an English translation. For example, "luw" is translated 10+ different ways in the ESV. What is the easiest way to get a list of the different renderings and the corresponding bible references? The search details analysis doesn't seem to have quite what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Hi, Jonathan, and welcome to Accordance!

What you're asking is very easy. The end result is that instead of searching for the English word, you want to search by Key Number. There are 3 easy ways to accomplish this search:

1) When viewing the word in English, if you mouse over it, you should see its strong's number and gloss definition in the Instant Details box. Just Right-click (control-click if you don't have a right mouse button) on the word, and do Search For -> Key Number.

2) Instead of Right-clicking on it, you can just select the word and option-click on the Search button in the resource palette. If your preferences are set that its a menu, select Search from the menu with the option-key down. In Accordance, the Option key means 'Grab the strong's number/original language word behind the english'.

3) If you know the Key Number already, just do a search in the ESVS for Words, and do Search menu -> Enter Key Number, and select the number you want to search for.

Once you've accomplished your search, the next step is very easy. Just select Analysis from the Details button menu (looks like a bar graph) and you'll see all of the English words that are translated from that single greek word.

The end result is that instead of searching for the English word, you want to search by Key Number.

Ah, that helps. Thanks for the speedy reply! Is it possible to take that analysis list and display the Bible references organized by rendering?

You'll want the Concordance for that. You can add it via the same Details menu, or at the top-right of your Details zone is a + popup from which you can also add the concordance. Once you are viewing it, you can tweak it (like almost every other window) with Command-T.

Ok, almost there. I didn't know about command+T. Thanks for pointing that out! In my sample search, I looked for Αρχη (Key G0746). The analysis results correctly shows 55 hits in 54 verses, but some renderings that should have 1-2 hits instead show just a list of references, some (or most) of which are irrelevant. Do you know why that would happen?

Well, technically I was trying to use the concordance for something its not designed for. Concordance takes each hit word and shows how it is used throughout the Bible, ignoring key number. This is why, for example, you got every reference of 'first' even though it is only translated from arche twice. To actually list every verse reference by hit word rather than verse order isn't something Accordance does directly. However, you can get the same information in different ways:

1) If you add the english word + '@' before your english search, that narrows down to the specific hit. So, if you want to find just when first is translated from arche, just search for: first@[KEY G0746]. [KEY G0746]@first also works. We have on our to-do feature request list a direct right-click to this from the analysis window, but its not done yet.

2) If you use the Analysis Graph, then set it to Words rather than Key Number in the bottom right, you can see how each word is used throughout the text. With a few tweaks in Command-T you can get a beautiful representation of the hits: (For those keeping score I did Areas + Overlay + Grid + Black Background, and then did 2000 hits to make the curves broader. Any settings you can save for next time with the 'Use as Default' button)

Just doubleclick on anywhere in the graph to jump your search results to that point.

Hope this helps.

Well, technically I was trying to use the concordance for something its not designed for. Concordance takes each hit word and shows how it is used throughout the Bible, ignoring key number. This is why, for example, you got every reference of 'first' even though it is only translated from arche twice. To actually list every verse reference by hit word rather than verse order isn't something Accordance does directly. However, you can get the same information in different ways:

1) If you add the english word + '@' before your english search, that narrows down to the specific hit. So, if you want to find just when first is translated from arche, just search for: first@[KEY G0746]. [KEY G0746]@first also works. We have on our to-do feature request list a direct right-click to this from the analysis window, but its not done yet.

2) If you use the Analysis Graph, then set it to Words rather than Key Number in the bottom right, you can see how each word is used throughout the text. With a few tweaks in Command-T you can get a beautiful representation of the hits: (For those keeping score I did Areas + Overlay + Grid + Black Background, and then did 2000 hits to make the curves broader. Any settings you can save for next time with the 'Use as Default' button)

Just doubleclick on anywhere in the graph to jump your search results to that point.

Hope this helps.

Joel,

Does this mean that there is no easy way to do this without using the strong keys? The problem with using strong keys is that it limits the complexity of searches.

Hope this helps.

Yes, this helps a lot! Thank you.

Joel,

Does this mean that there is no easy way to do this without using the strong keys? The problem with using strong keys is that it limits the complexity of searches.

I'm certainly not the most qualified to answer your query, but I'll do my best. The fundamental issue with determining what english words are translated from what greek words without using Strong's, is that Strong's are by definition a connection of the english words to greek words. That information is not found anywhere else. I cannot open some translation that uses very 'free' wording, and expect it to know which words came from what greek without some sort of a connection.

If I recall from your other forum post, you were hoping to find all the english words in a translation that come from a root search in the greek. A simple analysis of the search will give you the glosses of each of the words, but it seems as though you want the actual english words that a particular translation uses. Someone else may think of a way, but I cannot imagine any way to do this without the use of strong's numbers. Even with strong's numbers it is a bit tricky, as the numbers are attached to the lemma rather than root. Your best bet would be to take the different lemmas found by the root search, get their key number, then combine them with the command or listed in a parenthetical sequence (e.g. ([KEY G0001], [KEY G0002]) ). Hopefully someone else can give you a better answer!

I'm certainly not the most qualified to answer your query, but I'll do my best. The fundamental issue with determining what english words are translated from what greek words without using Strong's, is that Strong's are by definition a connection of the english words to greek words. That information is not found anywhere else. I cannot open some translation that uses very 'free' wording, and expect it to know which words came from what greek without some sort of a connection.

If I recall from your other forum post, you were hoping to find all the english words in a translation that come from a root search in the greek. A simple analysis of the search will give you the glosses of each of the words, but it seems as though you want the actual english words that a particular translation uses. Someone else may think of a way, but I cannot imagine any way to do this without the use of strong's numbers. Even with strong's numbers it is a bit tricky, as the numbers are attached to the lemma rather than root. Your best bet would be to take the different lemmas found by the root search, get their key number, then combine them with the <OR> command or listed in a parenthetical sequence (e.g. ([KEY G0001], [KEY G0002]) ). Hopefully someone else can give you a better answer!

An additional issue with using Strong's numbers for this type of research is that the Strong's numbers were not added by the translation committee for any of the translations. There are often times where we make decisions based on the text that may not be with the same knowledge as those that actually created the translation. So, in some cases a word may be left untranslated, or translated as a part of a phrase

Archived