Watching Training Videos in Mobile Devices

circuitrider

Does anyone know of a way to watch the DVD training videos on a mobile device? My iPad nor my iPhone will play the video from the website.

Thanks.

Does anyone know of a way to watch the DVD training videos on a mobile device? My iPad nor my iPhone will play the video from the website.

Thanks.

do the podcasts work?

Graeme

Edited by Graeme

Thanks.

The DVD training videos do not work with my iPad either. I assumed it because these required flash, which the iPad does not have. I could be wrong and maybe it is another reason.

Thanks.

The DVD uses the standard DVD format, like any other DVD. It can be played in a DVD player or a computer. In order to view them on an iPad or iPhone you must use a conversion application like Handbrake. Search macupdate.com for it and down load it. It's free.

Once the files are converted you can use iTunes to load them onto your iPad/iPhone.

Edited by DanG

The DVD uses the standard DVD format, like any other DVD. It can be played in a DVD player or a computer. In order to view them on an iPad or iPhone you must use a conversion application like Handbrake. Search macupdate.com for it and down load it. It's free.

Once the files are converted you can use iTunes to load them onto your iPad/iPhone.

Actually, the training DVD is not a 'DVD' per se. It is a series of video files with an HTML interface that will not play on a home DVD player. If they can't be viewed in iOS it must be a file format issue. However, the podcasts can obviously be viewed when you subscribe to them through iTunes. Also, the Training DVD was made for version 7, so is now fairly outdated, though many search features, etc are still the same.

do the podcasts work?

Graeme

Yes, the podcasts work just fine.

As mentioned by Rick, the version used in the videos is an older one. There are some great examples of construct searches in those videos, though. I was trying to remember how to set up a specific search and thought it might be covered in those videos.

Thanks for the idea about Handbrake, I think I'll try that route.

Yes, the podcasts work just fine.

As mentioned by Rick, the version used in the videos is an older one. There are some great examples of construct searches in those videos, though. I was trying to remember how to set up a specific search and thought it might be covered in those videos.

Thanks for the idea about Handbrake, I think I'll try that route.

One note about construct searches in v.9: adjacent columns no longer represent consecutive words. So, you will need to use the WITHIN element to represent this. This was a necessary change to support more accurate syntax searches.

Actually, the training DVD is not a 'DVD' per se. It is a series of video files with an HTML interface that will not play on a home DVD player. If they can't be viewed in iOS it must be a file format issue. However, the podcasts can obviously be viewed when you subscribe to them through iTunes. Also, the Training DVD was made for version 7, so is now fairly outdated, though many search features, etc are still the same.

Oops. My bad. I converted them so long ago I forgot. Either way, they need to be converted and you can still use Handbrake to convert them. If you can get them into iTunes, then iTunes will convert them for you also.

One note about construct searches in v.9: adjacent columns no longer represent consecutive words. So, you will need to use the WITHIN element to represent this. This was a necessary change to support more accurate syntax searches.

That is a good point. I do remember David mentioning that in his blog, now that you pointed it out.

Oops. My bad. I converted them so long ago I forgot. Either way, they need to be converted and you can still use Handbrake to convert them. If you can get them into iTunes, then iTunes will convert them for you also.

I dragged (drug for you southerners) the downloaded .mov files over to iTunes but the iPad does not like them, iTunes will not allow you to transfer them. However, a quick convert to .m4v through Handbrake did the trick nicely.

Thanks again!

• 2 years later...

I just received the new DVD video files and they do work fine on my DVD player. I want to be able to play them using my DVD drive on my pc. Is Flash an application that will allow that or do I have to convert the files to some other format?

If your PC has a DVD will player it should work as long as you have the corresponding software. Sometime when the players is going bad the first thing that happens is that it won't play DVD any longer but will play CDs.