Full Screen and some other requests

Alex H.

Please note, I only have an iPhone 3GS, haven't tried Accordance on iPad yet.

1. Bookmarking, highlighting, syncing, etc. I think you've got these in the pipeline, though?

2. A full screen mode. Would need to be able to toggle between full-screen and navigation bars with a tap.

3. The option for a grid style verse chooser like some other apps would be great. The verse chooser is a bit awkward, although being able to jump 10 books/ch/vs significantly mitigates this.

4. Option to group verses in paragraphs. I don't feel the current layout is very user friendly, especially for casual users.

5. One touch version/resource changer. Currently the top bar seems to only activate the search feature. Could touching the book name activate the library opener to make changing versions/resources quicker in the main screen?

6. Rotation lock

7. Default user notebook. Bit of a pain having to choose which notebook when I only have one.

8. Brown (the colour, not Helen!). Hmmm. I've been comparing the UI of a couple of apps, and surprisingly black works better IMO. Please, note, this is at the bottom of my list, just my own opinion among the multitude of others no doubt.

Thanks for the app. It's awesome having all my resources on my iPhone (no iPad yet) - really, it's mind blowing when you think about what we can carry in our pocket now! One unexpected advantage is that it makes my morning devotions easier as I don't need to move to my Mac to look up a commentary if I've got a question about a verse. I'm really looking forward to having my user notes synced, hope that's not too far away.

I know users inevitably draw comparisons with Bible Reader. I've used it for 5 or 6 years now, since my Palm days, and it really is a very mature product that I'm familiar with and love. At first I thought Accordance hadn't met the mark, but as I was writing this list and comparing apps I realised a lot of that feeling is just the affection of familiarity. You've made some design decisions that I think are better, and many other things are just different. Sure Accordance is a 1.0 release and has some way to go, but (apart from bugs, grrr), I think you've done a remarkable job. I recently compared a number of cross-platform iOS Bible apps and Accordance compares very favourably against more mature offerings. I'm only say this because I've read comments comparing the apps in other threads and I wanted to give another perspective. BTW, the other Bible app I have installed is YouVersion, and I really like it's simplicity. I hope Accordance can keep a balance between simplicity and power.

• 4 months later...

I know this post is a little old, but there are a couple of items that I would like to see incorporated into Accordance. Specifically, suggestion number 2 would be great. Not that I want Accordance to be like other Bible apps, but most of the ones I toy with hide the toolbar and navigation bar when scrolling through the text or after a delay once the user no longer is touching those bars. It would make reading the text more comfortable on the iPhone, thought it is not an issue on the iPad. Also, number 8 would be nice as brown is no the most appealing. Perhaps having the ability of a user to choose a custom color or select from a list of pre-defined options.

• 3 months later...

I also second suggestions No. 2 and 3.

Archived