Missing 'Go to' button?

David Clough

Dear all,

I'm a new user of Accordance, so this is probably an easy question to answer, but the manual hasn't helped me so far.

After I've done a word search that generates a list of verses, the thing I want to do most often is go to the chapter the verse came from in a new tab. The Help documentation seems to suggest that at the bottom right of the window, to the right of the verse reference drop-down list, there should be a 'Go to' button that would do this for me. There isn't a button like that on my search results window (version 9.1.1): that drop down list is in the bottom right corner and stays there when the window resizes.

So...

Should there be a 'Go to' button there?

- If so, how can I get one?

- If not, how else can I get a new window with the verse in its chapter context?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

David.

I'm not absolutely sure I understand what you're hoping to do, but if you're trying to amplify to a new tab for a specific verse to see it in greater context in a word search tab:

1. put your cursor on the verse

2. hit CMD+5

3. On that new tab, simply make sure you have the "Show all text" box checked and you'll be able to scroll the whole text.

If you don't care so much about having a separate tab, you can move the context slider on your word search tab to see 1-5, 9 or all the text for your search results, then use the downward pointing triangle to navigate to your next search result in the text.

Great tip mikes!

Welcome to Accordance David!

I think I know what you are trying to accomplish, but Accordance really doesn't work that way. I was expecting the same function when I first came over to Accordance and was initially disappointed that the "go to" function didn't really work the way my old software did. However, after a bit of use and discovering how many other searches can be done from a set of search results I understood why the "go to" was not implemented. I have come to appreciate the way it works. I think you wlll, too.

mikes' tip will probably be your best bet depending on what your workspace looks like. If it is crowded like mine then it may not be feasible. What really works nice is opening a new workspace (from the File drop down menu) and completing your word search. When wanting to 'goto" to a particular verse, select the verse by clicking anywhere in the verse, and then hit CMD+5. This will open another pane with the verse you selected in context. To see another verse from your search results just click on it again and hit CMD +5 again. In a sense CMD +5 becomes your "goto" button.

If you want to dig a little deeper you can amplify back to any of your other modules, workgroups, or workspaces without loosing your place or initial search results. This is another thing that makes it better than the old pop-up search results window method that other software uses. To amplify from a particular verse you right-click on the verse and make our choice from the menu.

There is another way to do this while staying in your present workspace too, but I don't want put too much info here. If you'd like that info also let me know and I'll post it.

Hope that helps.

Dear mikes and circuitrider,

many thanks for helping me get started with this. CMD-5 was exactly what I needed. I'm intrigued by the option you mention of staying within the current workspace, too, though circuitrider. Can you tell me more about that?

With thanks,

David.

Dear mikes and circuitrider,

many thanks for helping me get started with this. CMD-5 was exactly what I needed. I'm intrigued by the option you mention of staying within the current workspace, too, though circuitrider. Can you tell me more about that?

With thanks,

David.

You know what? mikes' original post will keep you in the same workspace. Sorry about that. Here is another option though that will give you a bigger view of your search results while keeping you in your current workspace. This is nice if you have a workspace with several panes open and you'd like to see more of your search results at glance.

Hit CMD+N, this will open and new tab. You can perform your word search here. HIt CMD+5 after selecting a verse and another zone will appear with your verse in context within the same workspace. If you have a small screen like I do (13" MacBook) this may leave you with a very small zone to work with. If you have more screen real estate it should word well.

This is what is so nice about Accordance, there are many ways to accomplish what you want.

Hope that makes sense.

Take Care

Dear circuitrider,

many thanks for your help with this: that's great.

With best wishes,

David.

Archived