Key Word Study Bible

James Taylor

I'm new to actually studying the bible and have been very happy with Accordance! I really enjoy the podcasts and have learned a lot about work flow and techniques. I was chatting with someone yesterday and they mentioned using a Key Word Study BIble. I was going to purchase it from Amazon, but thought I would check here to see if Accordance offers something similar?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

JT

I'm not familiar with the Key Word Study Bibles, but looking at the description at Amazon, it looks to me like you accomplish much of what they do by using Accordance's Key Number Bible texts (like the KJVS, the NRSVS, the NIV G/K, etc.), especially in combination with a module like

Expository Dictionary of Bible Words (Renn),

Holman Treasury of Key Bible Words

New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology,

and/or New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis

Depending on what packages you have purchased in Accordance, you may well have some of these resources already available to you.

Lorinda

The Zodhiates Key Word study bibles (I have one) are basically the same thing as a "tagged" text (e.g. KJVS, NKJVS, NIV-G/K, HCSBS, ESVS, . . . )

If you have any Accordance package, you at least have the KJVS. This will give you everything you would get an a printed Key Word Study bible and (as you know) much much more capability.

If you don't have a one of these Accordance bibles in your favorite text, I would strongly suggest you pick it up ASAP.

Feel free to ask questions if you feel like you don't quite know how you would do something in Accordance that you think you can do with any Key Word Study bible version and you'll have plenty of helpful responses.

Hi, James!

Welcome to Accordance!

Lorinda and Mikes are both correct. Chances are, you already have everything you need in your hands.

Open your KJVS (or any other tagged text) in Accordance, then make sure the Instant Details box is displayed. As you pass your cursor over each word in the text, you'll see the Greek or Hebrew equivalent appear in the ID box. Each word will also have a brief definition. Press the Command key as you do it and you'll see an expanded definition appear, if you have an additional Greek or Hebrew lexicon installed.

Even if you do not, you probably have Renn-Bible Words or Holman Treasure of Bible Words installed. You'll find good definitions of most important Bible words in either one. Accordance makes it easy to look them up. Click the word to want to define, press the option key, then "amplify" by opening the module you want directly from the Resource Palette.

Make sure Key Number highlighting is turned on in Preferences/Instant Details, and that you have a tagged original text in one pane and a Key number text in another pane. It should then work.

Thanks Helen. I turned off Key Number Highlighting and then turned it back on and now it's working again!

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info - absolutely loving this program!

"As you pass your cursor over each word in the text, you'll see the Greek or Hebrew equivalent appear in the ID box. Each word will also have a brief definition. Press the Command key as you do it and you'll see an expanded definition appear,"

This is exactly what I needed!

JT

Archived