Magnify your Zones in 9.2

Helen Brown

Accordance 9.2 is an exciting free upgrade for Accordance 9 users. It makes it even easier to enjoy the major new features introduced in version 9.

Magnify Zone lets you expand a zone to the size of the workspace, work in it as usual and even switch to another zone as needed, then restore it to its original location with a single click. This will especially benefit users with small screens who enjoy having several specialized zones in the workspace.

Image Browsing has been wanted for a long time, and now it's here. Click the Prior and Next buttons in an Image or Picture tab to flip quickly through all the images in that tool. It even works in the magnified zone.

Other Updates:

• Check for Updates and Easy Install are now a single, two-sided dialog with improved appearance and functionality. The lists of modules also load much more quickly.
  • All online downloads have significantly improved stability and support file resume. If the user cancels a download or it times out, the download will resume on the next attempt, rather than starting over.
  • When amplifying to a Reference Tool from a text, now the windows automatically tie for scrolling.
  • Syntax searches are more accurate, and the verse reference appears in the syntax pane.
  • The inability to download to certain users' hard drives has been corrected.

The new version appears in Check for Updates, or you can go here to download it.

Enjoy!

More links available here.

Magnifying the zones is a great feature! I work on a laptop and this will definitely be useful. What is the best way to switch zones when one is magnified? If I magnify a zone with a commentaries, for example, and click on a link to a scripture verse, the program switches to the zone with my texts, which is now magnified. The problem is that there is no obvious way to un-magnify, as the control buttons don't appear in that window. I either have to link back to the commentaries zone or close the workspace and re-open it from my saved workspaces folder. Is there a control that I'm just not seeing?

Move your cursor over the blue bar (which indicates the active window). If it is magnified, there is a minus sign at the far left that lets you return to seeing all zones. In that view, putting the cursor over the blue bar shows you an x to close the zone and a + to magnify. You may also use the keyboard shortcut of option-command-m to toggle back and forth.

Move your cursor over the blue bar (which indicates the active window). If it is magnified, there is a minus sign at the far left that lets you return to seeing all zones. In that view, putting the cursor over the blue bar shows you an x to close the zone and a + to magnify. You may also use the keyboard shortcut of option-command-m to toggle back and forth.

Oh, I know that the buttons should appear when I move the mouse, but they actually don't appear in the situation I describe above. Thanks for the keyboard shortcut, though. I didn't know that, and it works perfectly.

Command-Option-[ and ] (left and right square bracket) also cycle the active or magnified zone.

Command-Option-[ and ] (left and right square bracket) also cycle the active or magnified zone.

Even better, kind of like switching tabs in safari! I'm still curious, though, if anyone else can confirm what my issue described above or if it's just me. It would be nice to have the "un-magnify" buttons in every window and not have to rely on remembering keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks, both of you, for your help!

Unfortunately, I'm not able to reproduce your problem, Jonathan. First I start with two zones, one with a Search tab and text tab, the other with a commentary. Then I magnify the commentary zone. Then I click on a scripture link, which jumps back to my text-type zone. If I mouse over the zone title bar, the Minus button is there. Is this any different from what you are doing?

Nope, that sounds the same. I just verified that the situation repeats, so let me clarify what's happening. I do not have my text tabs set to recycle, so selecting a verse link in the magnified commentary zone switches to the text-type zone but opens a new search tab with just that verse. The minus sign does not appear no matter where I move the mouse. However, I just noticed that if I select any of the previously opened tabs in that zone, the minus sign now appears. It continues to appear if I now go back to the tab with just the single verse, so it seems like something is lost only in the initial transition.

Thanks for checking into this.

Jonathan

This is a wonderful new feature for Accordance, I have been using it regularly.

I woud like to suggest that this kind of magnifying be available for individual panes within a window.

Great work Accordance team!

Jonathan

Have you exceeded your allowable zones set in preferences? I was only able to duplicate your problem when I exceeded the allowable zones set in my preferences.

Lloyd Halladay

Jonathan

Have you exceeded your allowable zones set in preferences? I was only able to duplicate your problem when I exceeded the allowable zones set in my preferences.

Lloyd Halladay

Hi Lloyd,

I'm not sure what you mean by exceeded. The workspace described above was limited to 2 zones, with the texts/commentaries linked for scrolling but not recycling contents, so clicking on a text link in a commentary (zone 1) opens new tab in my texts zone (zone 2). There is no zone 3, so the limit isn't exceeded, but perhaps that limit is contributing to the situation some how.

Jonathan

Hi Lloyd,

I'm not sure what you mean by exceeded. The workspace described above was limited to 2 zones, with the texts/commentaries linked for scrolling but not recycling contents, so clicking on a text link in a commentary (zone 1) opens new tab in my texts zone (zone 2). There is no zone 3, so the limit isn't exceeded, but perhaps that limit is contributing to the situation some how.

Jonathan

Jonathan

I was unable to duplicate your problem from what you described. But I see that the problem has been found by Helen's post.

Thanks

Lloyd

Archived