Pastors / Scholars - which commentary?

RogueMonk

Hello to you all!

I am looking to purchase an additional commentary set for accordance. I already have the Word Biblical Commentary. I am not a scholar. I am a pastor. I don't want something very basic, nor do I need something very technical. For the other pastors or scholars out there, what accordance commentary set would you recommend to supplement the WBC.

Thanks,

RogueMonk

Hello to you all!

I am looking to purchase an additional commentary set for accordance. I already have the Word Biblical Commentary. I am not a scholar. I am a pastor. I don't want something very basic, nor do I need something very technical. For the other pastors or scholars out there, what accordance commentary set would you recommend to supplement the WBC.

Thanks,

RogueMonk

Hmmm..., as a scholar I'd say NICGT. As a pastor, I'd pick the NIV-AC, for the way it stretches me in my applications of scriptural principles.

You night also consider one of the new Bible background commentaries by Zondervan (ZIBBCOT/NT), as they focus more on culture and customs. They provide really nice cultural context for many of the biblical narratives—and are very much in keeping with the current emphasis on good story-telling from the pulpit.

I've been impressed by the volumes of the NIBC that I've used (currently only NT is available for Accordance but I'm sure OT is out there on the horizon...) for a non-technical but contextually and theologically astute interpretation.

If/when Abingdon's NIB becomes available, I'd recommend that highly.

Hey RogueMonk,

My personal go-to preference is the New International Greek Testament Commentary (NIGTC). I find its analysis of the original Greek to be in-depth and enlightening while remaining highly approachable, as long as you have some familiarity with Biblical Greek. However, if you are less familiar with the original languages then Dr. J's suggestion of the NIV Application Commentary (NIV-AC) is an excellent resource and extremely useful for sermon preparation, due to its emphasis on tangible life applications drawn from its exegesis of each passage. I would also suggest owning at least one commentary that stretches you to think beyond your own theological predispositions, even though this is admittedly hard for me to do. While you may disagree with the interpretation most of the time, I find it helps me to overcome some of my theological blind spots (check out David Lang's latest blog series for great thoughts on this) and tends to result in the development of some of my most challenging/interesting sermons. The great thing about Accordance is since it offers such a wide selection of commentaries, you are sure to find a good variety of interpretations among them.

Beyond this, I have found the site bestcommentaries.com to be a great resource for finding the highest rated commentaries on whichever current Biblical book I am studying/preaching on. I would also agree with css that Dr. J's podcast #49 offers some great tips, as usual. I hope any of this helps and that you find the right commentaries to meet your needs!

-Darin

Archived