Problem with Hebrew Font today

Philip Richardson

I have been copying and pasting sections of Hebrew text into "Word for Mac" for some time without difficulty (this shows up in my font directory as "Yehudit"). After saving my document earlier today, I opened it up later to find that some of the sections of font were no longer recognized (appearing as English letters and symbols in "Times New Roman") but other sections appeared fine, just as I had saved them. The Yehudit font was still there in my font directory and not knowing what else to do, I went through each section or word, changing "Times New Roman" back to "Yehudit" (I could not "select all" because there were sections of English text in between written in "Cambria"). I wondered if this could have something to do with me "updating" Accordance to version 9.2 while I was working on the original Word file this morning? What puzzles me is that some of the problematic sections were written yesterday (and opened up fine this morning) - before I updated Accordance and some problem sections were written after I updated Accordance, and all appeared fine in the text before I closed the file. It was on reopening it in order to print that it first occurred. Can anyone explain why this happened and what to do next time? Is there any way of changing just the sections that appear in one font to another font in "Word for Mac" whilst leaving sections interspersed in a different font as they were? Thanks in advance for your help.

I have been copying and pasting sections of Hebrew text into "Word for Mac" for some time without difficulty (this shows up in my font directory as "Yehudit"). After saving my document earlier today, I opened it up later to find that some of the sections of font were no longer recognized (appearing as English letters and symbols in "Times New Roman") but other sections appeared fine, just as I had saved them. The Yehudit font was still there in my font directory and not knowing what else to do, I went through each section or word, changing "Times New Roman" back to "Yehudit" (I could not "select all" because there were sections of English text in between written in "Cambria"). I wondered if this could have something to do with me "updating" Accordance to version 9.2 while I was working on the original Word file this morning? What puzzles me is that some of the problematic sections were written yesterday (and opened up fine this morning) - before I updated Accordance and some problem sections were written after I updated Accordance, and all appeared fine in the text before I closed the file. It was on reopening it in order to print that it first occurred. Can anyone explain why this happened and what to do next time? Is there any way of changing just the sections that appear in one font to another font in "Word for Mac" whilst leaving sections interspersed in a different font as they were? Thanks in advance for your help.

You may want to try running the font fixer utility (download from our site).

I would also encourage you to use Unicode for original languages (set Greek/Hebrew to export as such in prefs). But as you may or may nor know, Word for Mac doesn't support it; instead you can use OpenOffice.org (free) or Mellel (~$30).

I would also try a restart of the computer to reset the fonts in Word.

Thank you both for your helpful advice and sorry I have been too busy until now to acknowledge your replies. I have now run "Font fixer" so we shall see if that helps. I had not realized that Word for Mac does not support Unicode (is that the case for 'Word' on a PC?) and wondered if that applies to all languages or only certain ones? I know at least one Professor at our seminary uses "Word for Mac" for working in Greek so perhaps I shall ask him about his experience. I appreciate that "Openoffice" is free, though having gone to the trouble of paying for "Word for Mac" I would still like to try using it!

Word supports Unicode, just not the right-to-left semitic languages. Greek should be fine.

Ah ha! That explains my confusion! I had a feeling I was missing something. Thank you for clarifying that.

Archived