Book-Word dynamics

Peter Dubbelman

I'm a long time Bible Works user that is slowly and joyfully becoming accustomed to Accordance. What I am used to doing instantaneously in BW is now taking me hours to learn in Accordance. But I am getting there and really enjoying the program. During my learning curve, I'm hoping for some quick help. I am fluent in the Biblical languages.

Based on the GNT-T and the books of 1 & 2 Thess, I would like to:

1. Compile and print out a list of all the Greek words found in these two books, listing them by descending order of frequency.

2. Another list of the same above words, but this time not noting frequency but pithy English definitions accompanying each Greek word; this list in alphabetical order.

3. Compile a separate printable sheet lists into verbs, nouns, adjectives, ...

4. In Romans, I'd like to locate by verse all the question marks ";" in NA27.

Peter,

I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for, but here's my attempt at #1, #2, and #4:

#1 - #2

Open up a new GNT-T window, and search for words. In the search field enter:

* <AND> <RANGE 1Thes-2Thes>

That will pull up all the verses you want. Next, pull up the "Details" window by either hitting Command-' or by going to Window -> Show Details.

On the details window add an Analysis, and there is a drop down called "Sort" and choose "Count Down". I think this solves #1.

It's almost #2 as the a short English gloss is included with each root form. You'll have to copy and paste into a spreadsheet like Excel to sort by English.

For #4, open up another GNT-T window and search words. In the search field enter:

.; <AND> <RANGE Rom>

That's a period followed by a semicolon. This will find every semicolon in the GNT-T (NA27 tagged) text.

If this is confusing I can post some screenshots.

b

Thanks, Bob. I will give it a try. You are a blessing.

Peter

Since Bob explained #1, #2 and #4, here is #3.

To build on his instructions, perform the search Bob described and select the Details button and bring up the Analysis window. Once you're in the Analysis tab, select cmd-T to customize it. Under "Select items for sort and display of each word:" drag and drop "PrtSpeech" into column 1. Next, drag and drop "LEX" beneath "PrtSpeech" so "LEX" becomes the second item in column 1. Be sure you have the sort order to "alphabetical" and select OK.

You should now have all your results categorized by part of speech.

Hope that helps.

Darryl

Since Bob explained #1, #2 and #4, here is #3.

To build on his instructions, perform the search Bob described and select the Details button and bring up the Analysis window. Once you're in the Analysis tab, select cmd-T to customize it. Under "Select items for sort and display of each word:" drag and drop "PrtSpeech" into column 1. Next, drag and drop "LEX" beneath "PrtSpeech" so "LEX" becomes the second item in column 1. Be sure you have the sort order to "alphabetical" and select OK.

You should now have all your results categorized by part of speech.

Hope that helps.

Darryl

I wasn't sure how to do this either, so thanks for sharing, Darryl!

THanks, Darryl. I would love to try your suggestions. Here, however, is my dilemma:

Bob's suggestions for number four worked great. I'm struggling a bit on suggestions for #1.

A. When I plug in his suggested command " * <AND> <RANGE 1Thes-2Thes> ", I get a response that says"this entry or window name cannot be found"; the word 'this', I presume referring to "1Thes-2Thes", as they are highlighted. This is done with the GNT-T version and word search button activated along with all text modes. I've tried various combinations such as '1 Thes-2 Thes' with no more success. You all are way more adept with Accord than I am, so I think I must be doing something wrong.

B. However, I think I managed to search for all the words in 1Thes-2Thes by changing it from "all text" to a defined range created for 1Thes-2Thes; at least the entire two books pulled up in red ink.

C.Regardless, when I attempt to pull up the "show details" window, Accordance's main windows consistently disappear and the colored wheel spins, until a force quit, over the the "show details" window. I have pulled successfully the "show details" window for other searches involving less data. :)

I have a new MacBook Pro and an Accord 9.2 version.

I appreciate everyone's help and patience with this process.

Thanks!

If you copied and pasted the search argument, then that would account for why it did not work. In Accordance it would look like

* <AND> [RANGE 1Thess-2Thess]

with brackets for the range command rather than greater/less than signs. Try entering the Range command from the menu bar, Search>Enter Command>Range. Then type 1Thess-2Thess in the Range command brackets.

(I don't have the full version of Acc on this comp. the verify, but you may have to have a space after the "1" and "2" if it still does not work.)

You should do this because defining your own custom range limits the available text to be searched. So in your example only the vocabulary from 1 and 2 Thess. will be searched. So your frequency counts will not reflect frequencies from the entire NT, only frequency counts from your custom range.

The range command, on the other hand, only limits what results are displayed, and the frequency is across the entire NT.

I'm sorry I cannot speak to your getting the spinning ball. That may need to be addressed by Accordance programmers. I would suggest restarting your computer and relaunching Accordance.

Again, hope that helps.

Darryl

I tried to do search #1, same results: a spinning wheel http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

Again after I have restarted my MacBook Pro, see info on my Mac:

Modelnaam: MacBook Pro

Modelaanduiding: MacBookPro6,2

Processornaam: Intel Core i5

Processorsnelheid: 2,4 GHz

Aantal processors: 1

Totaal aantal cores: 2

L2-cache (per core): 256 KB

L3-cache: 3 MB

Geheugen: 4 GB

Interconnectsnelheid processor: 4.8 GT/s

Hans

You can add me to the list of people who get the spinning wheel when trying to do the analysis window after the word search * <AND> [RANGE 1Thes-2Thes]. It does the search fine; but when I try to bring up the analysis window it gives small window and the spinning wheel. I have to close and restart Accordance.

You can add me to the list of people who get the spinning wheel when trying to do the analysis window after the word search * <AND> [RANGE 1Thes-2Thes]. It does the search fine; but when I try to bring up the analysis window it gives small window and the spinning wheel. I have to close and restart Accordance.

Sounds like this bug I reported recently. I'll add this search to that thread as another test case.

Lorinda

Thanks, Darryl. Your above bracket [] suggestion helped; however, I still am not able to proceed without the spinning colored wheel. No worry. I appreciate your desire to help. Obviously such things must be possible with a smaller amount of data, as both you and Bob seem to have accomplished such feats.

It's working well for me. Peter, please email me a contact phone or iChat or Skype as I would like to help you personally.

Thanks, Helen. You are very kind. Obviously, I'm still very new at such things but still enjoying the learning process. Accord. can do some amazing things.

We tracked down the hanging Accordance to an attempt to run the Concordance with a large number of words. Once Concordance was removed from the default details (in Preferences: Search tab) the Analysis behaved as it should. We will fix this bug ASAP.

Archived