How do I set default Bible, Dictionary, Commentary, etc?

Paul Jackson

Even after going through numerous video tutorials and FAQs I'm finding Accordance reasonably difficult to navigate. I'm sure it will get better as I become more familiar with it. Can anyone point me to the settings for the default commentary, dictionary, etc?

The first tool listed in each category in the Library window (English Tools, Greek Tools, Hebrew Tools, Reference Tools, General Tools) is the default tool invoked by operations like triple-clicking a reference or a word.

As for the global defaults for the appearance of tools, go to the Preferences > Tool Display.

Even after going through numerous video tutorials and FAQs I'm finding Accordance reasonably difficult to navigate. I'm sure it will get better as I become more familiar with it. Can anyone point me to the settings for the default commentary, dictionary, etc?

Default bibles are set in the program preferences, but default dictionaries and commentaries are set by dragging them to the top of their respective sections in the Library window.

Default bibles are set in the program preferences, but default dictionaries and commentaries are set by dragging them to the top of their respective sections in the Library window.

Once again, Beautifully simple. Thank you.

• 4 years later...

Wow! after trying to find the answer on youtube and looking over preference settings a few times I would never have guessed it was that easy.

Thanks

Also, in version 11, there is a new Amplify preferences pane that takes place of the old assumptions.  Simply choose your default tools using this preference pane.

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the note above. Just struggled with why the list wasn't changing my defaults anymore. Helpful.

Edited by Arnold
  • Like 1

Hello Arnold

But do your default ones on top,  Because if your "triple-click" didn't find in your default one then Accordance goes to the next under your selected one. Then to the next until it find an entry. But there is a bug since 11.0 to 11.0.8 that Accordance will search only what is under the default ones. Not what is above.

E.g.post-32723-0-72560300-1443851034_thumb.png

if I have set the ISBE Revised as default and I "triple-click" on a German word that is not found in any englisch tools, then nothing happens. Because the German ones are above the ISBE Revised. So I have to do both actions right now. To select a default tool and to put it on the top of the list. 

See alsto. http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/15036-bug-andor-tip-with-library-list-11/?hl=library 

Greetings

Fabian

I've confirmed the bug noted by Fabian.

This isn't a bug, simply put your secondary tools below the chosen primary one.  Why would it go up?  Seems unintuitive.

Let's say you make Webster's your default tool for non-tagged English Bibles (like the Amplified). Place Webster's at the bottom of your list of Dictionaries in the Library. When you click on a name in the Amplified that isn't found in Webster's (Like "Melchi" in Luke 3:24), Accordance doesn't do anything at all. Then place Webster's at the top of the Library (still keeping it as your default tool in the Amplify preferences). Now Accordance will go to the next Dictionary in the list that contains the name "Melchi," (which in my case is "All the Men of the Bible").

This isn't a bug, simply put your secondary tools below the chosen primary one.  Why would it go up?  Seems unintuitive.

Joel that makes no sense! See what I have wrote on the Feb. 12. 

Then better cut the new feature and go back to the old with only put your chosen one to the top of the list. Or you will this "this new feature" as a filter. See also my post from.... but then you have to explain it.

If the chosen one is the last in the line then Accordance doesn't search through other titles. If Accordance find not an equivalent entry then the User think there is no entry in the Library for the triple-click.

Greetings

Fabian

We generally do not try to program unintuitive behavior (searching backwards) to support something that is very easily fixed and very easily learned.  Simply organize your tools in the Library and this won't be an issue.  Going back to the top of a category is much less intuitive and doesn't make sense with the new and variable categories.

So your default tools really need to be at the top of the Library list in order to function properly.

Edited by Mark Allison

We generally do not try to program unintuitive behavior (searching backwards) to support something that is very easily fixed and very easily learned.  Simply organize your tools in the Library and this won't be an issue.  Going back to the top of a category is much less intuitive and doesn't make sense with the new and variable categories.

For what is then the default one? When I can put it on the top like before? I had needed from the release of 11 till the February to find out what happens. Because Accordance has changed and nothing describes the new behavior. 

You see it so, but not I.

The default tools are the ones you set in Preferences->Amplify. But you need to also make sure that these default tools are the top tools in each of your library categories.

Edited by Mark Allison

So I'm not really sure why we have a separate "Amplify" option in the Preferences menu (except for English Key Number texts), when they need to be at the top of the library anyway.

• Like 1

They don't need to be at the top of the Library, but they should be higher in the Library than other secondary tools.  Version 11 supports a fully flexible tool setup, where you can arrange whatever tool in whatever folder, or no folders at all!  Perhaps someone wants to put their Qumranic studies higher than their Hebrew Lexicons, but that doesn't mean that Accordance should steal a lexicon that happened to be in the Qumranic Studies folder, just cause it was first.  Here, you organize your Library, putting your tools into whatever folders you like, while keeping your more regularly used and referenced tools near the top of your chosen category, like any normal organization.  Then, to help Accordance understand your structure, you set your choices in the Amplify pane.

Fabian, this feature was discussed in the Help, podcasts, and likely other locations. See:

You are here: Digging Deeper > Amplifying Your Bible Study > Principles Behind the Amplify Feature

As the 11 came out I had strictly done what Accordance will and ran in to a hassle. To be more precise: what has Accordance wrote by the installation.

I belive I had all Dictionaries except the JPS one and then I found nothing. That was strange.

• If the word is not found in a search of the first tool, the other tools in the category are searched in turn until the word is found.

Hmmm "first tool" but this is was not written after the import. The import only say, that we now have to choose with a default one which are our primary tool. 

But anyway this is not really true, if the default one is not "the first one"!

That's a helpful section in the User Manual, though perhaps not clear enough in the "Amplify with a Triple-Click" section. Right now the user is told:

• If the word is not found in a search of the first tool, the other tools in the category are searched in turn until the word is found.

It should probably read something like: "Accordance will amplify to the default tool selected in the Amplify preferences. If the word cannot be found in your default tool, Accordance will continue searching down from the location of your default tool to the end of the library category."

Thus, if Webster's Dictionary is your default tool, and if it's 1/2 way down your "Dictionary" category, Accordance will only search from Webster's to the end of the Dictionary category. Any tools in the Dictionary category that appear above Webster's will not be searched.

• Like 1

When I've upgraded to 11 then I saw that Accordance has changed the way how to select the default one. But not that the old ones are still actual.

Yes to change the text, it makes clear, but write this also by the Install of 11 not only in the Helpfiles.

Greetings

Fabian

Also in the Setup-Assistant. Which is coming by the installation.

Quote: "the other tools in the category are searched in turn until the word is found."

"other tools"This mean all, isn't it. Not only they which are under!

"in turn" first they which are under and then begins by the first one. Like what I have wrote in my other post.

Edited by Fabian