Highlight All Scripture in BDAG

John F. Hart

Sometimes in BDAG (and other like sources), all I am looking for are the Scripture verses they cite. I think a very good feature would be a button or drop-down menu in BDAG that would immediately highlight all NT Scripture references to make them stand out from other hyperlinked abbreviations. Right now I often set More Options for Scripture, and type "Mt-Rev." But the search takes a few seconds.

So after I search for my Greek word (say ἀγάπη), this pop-down menu could highlight all the NT references cited by BDAG under ἀγάπη.

The menu could include "All NT References," "All OT References," "All NT & OT References," and other interesting categories. Other tools could have a similar pop-down menu.

You can do this currently by running a "Scripture" search in BDAG. Then, you can add an additional field for the lexis under question. Thus for example to take your example of ἀγάπη, you can set the Scripture to Genesis - Revelation, then add an additional (AND) operator to delineate another field, in this case the "Greek Entry." See attached image below:

**The logic of search is reversible. Thus you can also search for "Greek Entry" first, then your operator <AND> can merge with the Scripture field, like so:

You can also search the scripture field for *? instead of entering a range.

As I mentioned in my post, I often do the Scripture search with "Matt-Rev" or other references I didn't know about the question mark (?) search mentioned by Rick B. That will be another help. But I also thought a button would be neat to turn on an off to see all the NT Scripture references (in BDAG, Thayer, etc.) at once.

Archived