Searching for dieresis

Rod Decker

How does on search for all instances of dieresis in the GNT? The word "dieresis" doesn't occur in the help system.

How does on search for all instances of dieresis in the GNT? The word "dieresis" doesn't occur in the help system.

I did a search with a period (signifying a character), and then option-q for the dieresis found in the character pallet. A quick scan of the results show words that contain dieresis.

Hope that helps.

Darryl

I did a search with a period (signifying a character), and then option-q for the dieresis found in the character pallet. A quick scan of the results show words that contain dieresis.

Hope that helps.

Darryl

Bingo! Thanks. 154 in the NT, 218 in LXX.

Bingo! Thanks. 154 in the NT, 218 in LXX.

Glad to help! One thing to note: A search in the GNT-T gives 154 hits in 150 verses, but a search in NA27-GBS give 153 hits in 150 verses…

It seems (if I am interpreting the data correctly) that the GNT-T adds an erroneous hit in chapter 23 of Matthew. I confirmed this by looking at the Tables from the Details for each search and showing the chapter details. The Table for GNT-T lists 3 hits in chapter 23, but only displays Matt 23:2; 23:24. The NA27-GBS displays the same, but with only 2 hits.

For the GNT-T I am using v. 3.9, and NA27-GBS v. 1.1.

Hope that makes sense.

Darryl

We are still missing something here since the search Daryl suggested does not find Ἠσαΐου in the NT nor Μωϋσῆς in the LXX.

(In the case of Μωϋσῆς, there may be another problem here in that the Analysis window shows the inflected form Μωϋσῆς, but none of the hits in the LXX sow the dieresis.)

We are still missing something here since the search Daryl suggested does not find Ἠσαΐου in the NT nor Μωϋσῆς in the LXX.

(In the case of Μωϋσῆς, there may be another problem here in that the Analysis window shows the inflected form Μωϋσῆς, but none of the hits in the LXX sow the dieresis.)

Hi Rod, sorry about the confusion. I just noticed that to find all occurrences where a dieresis is used you would have to enter the other characters in addition (dieresis with the acute [shift-option-q], circumflex [shift-option-w], and grave [option-w]).

This brings the count to 236 in the GNT-T ( 235 in the NA27-GBS).

Darryl

Remember that the default search is for the lemma. Enclose in quotes to search the inflected forms.

Remember that the default search is for the lemma. Enclose in quotes to search the inflected forms.

So exactly what is the simplest search to find all instances of dieresis?

".

So exactly what is the simplest search to find all instances of dieresis?

".¨" ?

Yes,

The simple method is what you have displayed (although yes, you'll type it in Helena.)

But, in this instance, the enclosing in quotes makes no difference. For the GNT-T, I get 154 Hits searching for lexical form and for inflected form (with and without surrounding quotes). This makes sense, Helen, since the dieresis always occurs in the root, not in the inflected ending.

Still, the distinction of searching for lexical form or realized inflected form within the text is important. And in this instance, you were wanting inflected results.

Yes,

The simple method is what you have displayed (although yes, you'll type it in Helena.)

But, in this instance, the enclosing in quotes makes no difference. For the GNT-T, I get 154 Hits searching for lexical form and for inflected form (with and without surrounding quotes). This makes sense, Helen, since the dieresis always occurs in the root, not in the inflected ending.

Still, the distinction of searching for lexical form or realized inflected form within the text is important. And in this instance, you were wanting inflected results.

Thank Joe. Two questions.

1. How do you type a diaresis in Helena?

2. Why doesn't this search find Ἠσαΐου in the NT?

1. How do you type a diaresis in Helena?

2. Why doesn't this search find Ἠσαΐου in the NT?

2. The diacritical mark above ΐ includes the accent and is a separate glyph, rather than being both a ¨ and a ´.

So, to do a complete search for all dieresis, including those that are combined with each of the three accents, you need to search for:

.¨ <OR> .΅ <OR> .῭ <OR> .῁

1. Daryl posted the key combos for each of those for you, anticipating both of your questions:

⌥q, ⌥⇧q, ⌥w, and ⌥⇧w

Make sure you open up the Character Palette and hover over each character; you can see the key combos there. (Make sure you have "Diacriticals" checked at the top of the palette in order to display these.

Archived