Crash on startup

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

For some time now whenever I try to start Accordance on my old Powerbook by double-clicking the program icon, it crashes on start up. I get an "Accordance unexpectedly quit, error type 1" notice before I can do anything. If, however, I double click on a saved window (but not a tabbed workspace!), then Accordance starts fine. I can open a new workspace and create as many tabs as I want, with no further problems-until I quit and try to restart.

This all started some time ago when I copied an updated version of a user tool onto my Powerbook, replacing an older version with the same name. My (possibly faulty?) memory is that when it started, I couldn't open a saved tabbed workspace without it crashing, but I just tried to do so, and I had no trouble, which is a relief. I've been rebuilding my workspaces every session; now I know I don't have to!

I'm running the 68K version of Accordance 6.9.1 on a Powerbook 1400 running system 8. I can't upgrade it to 6.9.2 because downloaded Accordance installers don't work properly on the Powerbook: they erase the old version of Accordance, but refuse to install a new version in its place. I can only successfully install Accordance onto that machine with a CD installer which allows me to copy over the 68K version of the program.

Would I be correct in guessing that I have corrupt preference files? Do I need to trash the whole folder, or just certain preference files?

Thanks for putting up with all the oddities of old Mac OS systems and even older Macs!

I would look for a startup session in the Accordance settings folder and delete that.

Well, it looks like I have to apologize for taking up your time! On a whim, I decided to try starting up Accordance directly one more time before deleting the start-up session, and it worked like a dream. I don't know what happened to straighten things out, other than the "threat" of having contacted technical support, but it's working, and I'm not about to complain.

Archived