combining tag search with a particular Greek word

Mary Hinkle Shore

I think this is an easy question for a Friday afternoon.

I know how to search for either a lemma or a particular form of a word (e.g. πιστεὐω), and I know how to search for a particular type of form (e.g. verb, imperative), but how do I do both at the same time? When I try to combine these questions, the results of my search are verses that have both (1) some form of πιστεὐω and (2) any random imperative. That is not the search I mean to be running.

What I want is the occurrences of πιστεὐω in the imperative mood. What's the query for this search look like?

Mary

I think this construct does what you want. Open a Greek construct window (cmd-2). Drag Lex to the 1st column and select pisteuw. Drag verb to the 2nd column and select imperative under mood. Then drag within in the blank area above. Specify a range likely to cover any verse length (I used 1 to 50 words; increasing it to 100 did not change the result). There are six hits. See image.

construct.tiff

I think this is an easy question for a Friday afternoon.

I know how to search for either a lemma or a particular form of a word (e.g. πιστεὐω), and I know how to search for a particular type of form (e.g. verb, imperative), but how do I do both at the same time? When I try to combine these questions, the results of my search are verses that have both (1) some form of πιστεὐω and (2) any random imperative. That is not the search I mean to be running.

What I want is the occurrences of πιστεὐω in the imperative mood. What's the query for this search look like?

Mary

You can get your desired search with "[verb imperative] @=πιστεύω". In GNT-T I get 15 hits.

You can get your desired search with "[verb imperative] @=πιστεύω". In GNT-T I get 15 hits.

This gets all the imperative forms of πιστεύω. My construct gives all verses with a form of πιστεύω and any imperative. Re-reading your post, James gives you what you want. It can be done with the construct window too.

Michael

Another way of doing it is to perform a general search for the verb πιστεύω. Then, open an analysis window and select "Analysis Graph." At the bottom, in the pop-up menu, select "Mood." This will give you a large view of all the occurrences of the verb in the New Testament. To preview the results, click on each bar, and your search results will navigate to that location — a very handy way to consider the various usages of a lexis and TVM (Tense, Voice, Mood).

Another way of doing it is to perform a general search for the verb πιστεύω. Then, open an analysis window and select "Analysis Graph." At the bottom, in the pop-up menu, select "Mood." This will give you a large view of all the occurrences of the verb in the New Testament. To preview the results, click on each bar, and your search results will navigate to that location

Archived