Commentary Series Suggestion

RogueMonk

I'm tossed up over which commentary set to get. I have a max budget of $250. I already have the Word Biblical Commentary series, and want to supplement that with a less rigorous series. I'm torn between the Tyndal series and the Bible Speaks today series. What are the pro/cons of each? What would you recommend of the two? Or is there another in my budge that you might suggest. Thanks.

PS - I am a pastor. My main concerns would be helps with sermon preparation, Bible Studies, and some of the "stumpers" people ask pastors and wonder about.

What kind of perspective are you looking for (e.g., progressive, conservative)? If you're ok with a conservative perspective, I would imagine the Tyndale set would be a good addition to your library. Even as a progressive Christian, I own and use a few of these volumes semi-regularly.

If you like John Stott, you'll love BST. Great application oriented commentary, but it never shies away from the difficulties that both laity and pastors struggle with.

Another thing to consider is the Tyndale set covers the entire Bible but BST covers only the NT. I find myself using the Tyndale set far more than the BST. I usually start with the Tyndale set and move to the WBC for more in-depth study. My pick would be the Tyndale set.

I haven't used the BST commentaries, but I use Tyndale all the time (as a less rigorous companion to the WBC) and it's great. It's much less technical than the WBC but still helpful. The quality is quite good (from conservative evangelical perspective) and is much more consistent from volume to volume than the WBC. Many of its volumes are among the best commentaries available on the relevant books of the Bible, and it covers every book in the Bible. I will say that the series is more exegetical than pastoral, so it's not application oriented. (For an exegetical AND pastoral approach, Calvin's commentaries are great and you may already have them.)

Jonathan

I'm tossed up over which commentary set to get. I have a max budget of $250. I already have the Word Biblical Commentary series, and want to supplement that with a less rigorous series. I'm torn between the Tyndal series and the Bible Speaks today series. What are the pro/cons of each? What would you recommend of the two? Or is there another in my budge that you might suggest. Thanks.

PS - I am a pastor. My main concerns would be helps with sermon preparation, Bible Studies, and some of the "stumpers" people ask pastors and wonder about.

I still think the best deal in Accordance software (aside from the engine itself) is the Essential IVP Reference Collection . I often recommend it for its Bible dictionaries, but its commentaries are equally valuable. IVP-NT and IVP-OT are both background commentaries, providing insight into the cultures and customs behind Bible passages. IVP-Hard Sayings deals with just the most difficult Bible passages, plus it includes the New Bible whole Bible commentary (which is great for a top-level Reference Tool).

Thanks for all the replies.

I decided on the Tyndal series. I have a few in print, and do use them.

I'm in the middle stages of a ministry move, and really would like to downsize my print library--moving so many books is a challenge. So I'm trying to bulk up on my Accordance commentary library, especially as I tend to use them more that way than in print anyway.

Blessings,

David Vandervelde

PS - I would love to get the NICNT--but money is too tight for that (any benefactors--lol).

Archived